rash?

Help Support CattleToday:

farm girl

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone had any ideas of what this is? We have a hereford calf that has developed a rash of some sort on its face. Its just on its face and jaw area. There is still hair on the face but there are big patches were there is no hair and its pink. I am not sure what it is and was wondering if anyone knew. If you need a picture I might be able to get one. Any help would be great. Thanks.

My 2 week old hereford calf had a rash and lost the hair on a small spot on his back. It looked pretty bad - Momma cow kept licking it too. But I looked at it yesterday and it looks much better now.
The best advice I received when I posted was to leave it alone and let mother nature cure it!

farm girl":1x2rxcmr said:
Just wondering if anyone had any ideas of what this is? We have a hereford calf that has developed a rash of some sort on its face. Its just on its face and jaw area. There is still hair on the face but there are big patches were there is no hair and its pink. I am not sure what it is and was wondering if anyone knew. If you need a picture I might be able to get one. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Sounds like Ringworm. So a search here and you will find quite a bit of info on the subject.

sounds like mange to me, lot of yotes here in mo. have it. now & then i get one with it. even had a big brangus bull get it. used motor oil will take care of most any skin trouble in cattle

Thanks for the reply's. When I go to check on it tonight I will try and get a pic and get it on here. Motor oil is a new one for me, thanks for the advice. I talked to some people about ringworm and they dont believe it to be that. Maybe you can tell more from the pic.

baldcalf.jpg

See if this works, not sure how to post a pic. I know this one is blurry but the pink is the skin. Its only on the nose and face and back of neck.

Just a quick question. Will used oil make the hair slip? Its been in the 90's here and I dont want to do anything that will cause more problems. I have never used oil before.

farm girl":2vafdswq said:
Just a quick question. Will used oil make the hair slip? Its been in the 90's here and I dont want to do anything that will cause more problems. I have never used oil before.

Make the hair slip? You mean slip off of his skin? :lol:
Jerry's idea of burned motor oil sure won't hurt. Just put some on a rag and wipe the affected areas. Don't drench him in it.

I think it could still be ring worm but then we can treat it all at one time. Take the burned motor oil and mix a little iodine and about a third of a bottle of Desenex foot powder in and rub it on about every three days. Call us back and let us know. It won't happen over night but I would say in one to two weeks you should see improvement. If it happens to be ringworm it is contagious. Is he in a barn sometimes with others? If so you need to get in there and spray some bleach around to kill any fungi. Ringworm is a fungi not a real worm as some think.

jerry27150":1qdyhj5b said:
shot of a & d will help also

Good point Jerry on the mange. I figured she would know a critter could jump but good to remind her. Some folks think a ringworm is a real worm is why I said that.

What is a&d?

farm girl":axfmujeo said:

Any improvement yet? Determine what it is yet?

I've had good luck with a mixture of burnt motor oil, diesel and sulfer to cure mange on an old red bone coon hound. Came back in with the brightest, prettiest coat you ever saw.

Conagher":1zfnuejq said:
I've had good luck with a mixture of burnt motor oil, diesel and sulfer to cure mange on an old red bone coon hound. Came back in with the brightest, prettiest coat you ever saw.

Yep works really well but these days I used Desenex (sp) instead of sulfur because it has anti fungi stuff in it.

Thank you all for responding. I talked to the vet today and he believes it is after birth that wasnt licked completly off that caused the rash. Because of the heat he believes it caused a reaction. I assume he has seen this before. He said the best thing to do was get the calf in the shade or just leave it alone. The hair will grow back in a few weeks or faster if she is in the shade. If this does not work he suggested mineral oil because of the temp here. Again, thank you all for the comments. I love this site. I have learned so much from it. If the problem continues you may hear back from me.

farm girl":2p2xhw7d said:
Thank you all for responding. I talked to the vet today and he believes it is after birth that wasnt licked completly off that caused the rash. Because of the heat he believes it caused a reaction. I assume he has seen this before. He said the best thing to do was get the calf in the shade or just leave it alone. The hair will grow back in a few weeks or faster if she is in the shade. If this does not work he suggested mineral oil because of the temp here. Again, thank you all for the comments. I love this site. I have learned so much from it. If the problem continues you may hear back from me.

I am no vet although I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express once :lol: but I would sure question that diagnosis.

Latest posts