health question about a pig - skin rash?

Help Support CattleToday:

hilly11

Reaction score
Let me start out by saying I live in central Indiana, and we bought 3 feeder pigs this year to feed out and slaughter for our own meat. They are all gilts. Yesterday morning when I went out to feed, I noticed one of the pigs looked noticable more red/pink all over than the other two. I considered that maybe since they are cross-bred that if they weren't from the same litter (which I don't know) that maybe it was just naturally a little more pink. But when I looked closer at her it looked like her face was more "splotchy" with some of the more natural whiter color - and also she was a little bit more scratched up than the other two. Although I didn't notice her itching herself.

So today (24 hrs later) I went out and she looks pretty much the same. They have not been in the sun, so it couldn't be a sunburn. They are in an enclosed room in the barn together.

Any advice about what this might be or how I should treat it?

You can see from the pictures it is not really severe...but definitely noticable.
IMG_1506.JPG

IMG_1505.JPG

IMG_1504.JPG

Are they red/purple diamond shaped spots? If so it's probably eryslpilas (sp). Treat them aggressively with Pen and you should be ok.

And if they are tiny red dots is a skin mite.
It may still be sun though. On a white pig it doesn't take much. Check sun exposure at all times of day. If they fall asleep even in the 8am sun it will splotch them up

hooknline":37mm8vga said:
And if they are tiny red dots is a skin mite.
It may still be sun though. On a white pig it doesn't take much. Check sun exposure at all times of day. If they fall asleep even in the 8am sun it will splotch them up
Sounds like a question for Jogee...he's the pig expert especially when you combine put them on a good smoker. :lol:

Thanks for the replies...I know this is technically a cattle forum but everyone here always seems so knowledgeable on multiple types of livestock.

It doesn't appear to have a diamond shape. They do seem to be like little dots all over, so maybe it is like a skin mite. Would it be possible though, it seems strange with all 3 of them living in the same pen that only one would get them? What do I do for it? I imagine I need to go to Tractor Supply to get a treatment - will I be looking for a cream or a shot or something to add to the feed or???

By the way, it still looks the same today - and the other 2 pigs still appear to be unaffected.

And also I can say almost 100% that it wasn't sun exposure, because there is only a small window in their pen - and even if she was laying in it's path, I would think it would have only affected one side of her...but it is pretty evenly distributed all over the body - just splotchy on the face.

Worm the pig with ivermectin injectable. If it is mange mites the rash will clear and worming will not hurt the pig regardless.

Sounds like mites. Some pigs are more susceptible to them than others. But if it's left untreated the others will get it.
And Agmans right. Ivermectin treats them. And I usually worm once a month for pigs in close quarters. At least every 4 months. Just remember withdrawal times.

Instead of using Ivermectin injectible, could I just use a regular swine wormer that I all ready have that is a packet of granules that goes in their feed? Or should I specifically do the other for a reason?

I would do the ivermectin because that way you now how much each pig got. And I don't know if he granular wormer will get the mites

hilly11":3c1d4jrx said:
Instead of using Ivermectin injectible, could I just use a regular swine wormer that I all ready have that is a packet of granules that goes in their feed? Or should I specifically do the other for a reason?

It would depend on the active ingredients of the granular swine dewormer, but those you'd typically get here don't have ivermectin as one of teh active ingredients. Ivomec will do alot more good for growth than you'll ever imagine anyway.

OK, you all were right on the money. I went to TSC and on the back of the granular type it did NOT list mites as one of the diseases treated...but on the ivermectrin it DID list mites. So, got the Ivermectin.

Now, my plan is to get my parents over here to help because I have never given a shot before - but my mom does often to the horses. So, any suggestions or advice for this game plan? We will read the directions, but any tips would help. Do you pinch the skin? Where is the best place to give it to them (butt, shoulder, belly, ???)

Give it in the neck where there is loose skin . You are going to give it subq, which means under the skin and not in the muscle. Pull the skin upwards in a tent and penetrate the skin with the needle downwards. Inject the wormer and place your finger over the injection site while you remove the needle. Hold your finger there and rub the area until the wormer is spread out.

Behind the ear and ahead of the shoulder is the pig injection site. Use a short sharp (new) needle with an aluminum hub ( plastic will break) and prepare for noise. Pigs do not like injections.

BettyLandercasper":2wi3i669 said:
Behind the ear and ahead of the shoulder is the pig injection site. Use a short sharp (new) needle with an aluminum hub ( plastic will break) and prepare for noise. Pigs do not like injections.

Maybe just MY vet, but he cautioned about giving any meds that close to the brain. I will agree that ear plugs could be beneficial, tho.