range cubes

Help Support CattleToday:

bwil50

Reaction score
How long until range cubes become old and you should not feed them anymore. How long do they typically last?

As long as they stay dry they should be good indefinitly. I have a sakc that's been aorund for something like 4 years. I still every once in a while will pull out a handful and hand feed them to the cows.

Depends upon how they are stored. A cool, dry environment is best, maybe several months. They'll mold in high humidity much more quickly, sometimes within thirty days. If they don't mold, they'll eventually get weevils in them.

gerardplauche":18ous0u6 said:
The real question is: How long can you keep the rats out of it?

That's what steel 55 gallon drums with a gasket under the lid are for. Keeps out the critters, bugs, and moisture.

I agree.. keep them in the sack and in a 55 gallon drum. dont matter if its plastic or steel... just keep a lid on it.

Limomike":1zr6ymhc said:
I agree.. keep them in the sack and in a 55 gallon drum. dont matter if its plastic or steel... just keep a lid on it.

The only problem with plastic is the coons and mice/rats gnawing their way in.

Thats right about the rats or coons.. but its also why I have a good "ratter" dog.. and bird dog that just loves to kill those coons... :lol:

Limomike":3nz212k3 said:
Thats right about the rats or coons.. but its also why I have a good "ratter" dog.. and bird dog that just loves to kill those coons... :lol:

Coons aren;t much of a problem if I remember to close the doors tight, it's the mice and rats that are a pain. I've got some of the heavy gauge 55 gallon plastic liquid food shipping barrels. They finally managed to gnaw through that, took them 4 years though.

yep.. had the same problem with a trash container that I keep my rabbit feed in. It is plastic, and those mice knawed their way into it after about 6 months. Put some duct tape on the inside and out where they knawed it, and funny they havent chewed on the tape.

Latest posts