Range cubes as supplement feed.

Help Support CattleToday:

bobrammer

Reaction score
I've got 7 head of Angus on 42 acres. Grazing has been good, but fading fast. I've been giving them a couple of bags of range cubes twice a week. Is that too much of a good thing?
They also have mineral blocks available. If the range cubes are a bad choice, what would be a suitable supplement? I will be bringing in round bales in the next week or so. Many thanks!

bobrammer":3gnkji84 said:
I've got 7 head of Angus on 42 acres. Grazing has been good, but fading fast. I've been giving them a couple of bags of range cubes twice a week. Is that too much of a good thing?
They also have mineral blocks available. If the range cubes are a bad choice, what would be a suitable supplement? I will be bringing in round bales in the next week or so. Many thanks!
I'd put them on a 10-12% supplement tub.Also, keep in place a good loose mineral, suitable to your area.Nothing wrong with range cubes, but they're going to need more than that, shortly.One tub for that # of head should last you a while.

bobrammer IMO you are feeding to many treats. Cut out the cubes unless you are wanting to move them to the corral, another pasture etc. And then a five gal bucket full will be enough for 7 head.
Change from block minerals to loose mineral and salt blocks. If they are consuming to much mineral add loose salt to cut back their intake. Coming into winter you might consider a mineral that has an additive that will help them break down roughage in the rumen.
When the weather turns a little worse consider the tub that Crowderfarms suggested. Some of these will have mineral added in them. I have found they will empty a tub in about half the time they should according to what the manufacturer says daily intake should be. Kinda pricey for me.

Can you be more specific on the loose mineral? What content / manufacturer? Is that something that Tractor Supply would have or do I need to go to the feed store? Thanks for the help guys. I was kinda thinking I was giving too much range cubes. Do you think that could be why one of my cows was staying off the feed Saturday? I was wondering if she just had her fill the previous day. Thanks again for the good information.

Anyone retailing feed/mineral products should have a selection of loose minerals.There are numerous brands and different blends in each brand. Although I don't use their products I will use Purina as an example because I think they are nationwide.
At this site the have 6 different loose mineral packages to choose from(plus a pretty neat chart on ailments from mineral deficiency)
http://www.cattlenutrition.com/mineral.html
There are other brands you might want to buy according to availability to you.

Minerals like Purina or Cargill and the like are who make the loose mineral I buy. I get them from a feed store. Never tried a TSC for supplements. I would cut back on the range cubes too. Cattle will not hustle grass if they are spoiled and have no reason to eat.

I would think about trying a protein/molasses tub. I use the super block from Purina in the winter. It has I believe 24% protein of which 16% is derived from urea to keep the rumen bugs working on less digestible winter forage. This should help save you some money compared to cubing so much. If you buy a liquid molasses wheel tub, the liquid molasses is cheaper than the dried block form.

Well, I'm feeling pretty stupid at this point. I'm typically only able to feed the cows 2 - 3 times a week. I was thinking if I put 100 pounds in the bunk feeder, that would tide them over.
Obviously, I'm way off base.

Based on 5 adults and 2 calves, how much should I be putting in the feeder?

I will add the 200 lbs mineral tub this weekend. Please forgive my ignorance. I appreciate all of the help. Bob

Do you have any grass? I know you mentioned you were coming up short, but feeding cubes is not a full ration supplement. It's a protein supplement to get the bugs in the rumen going to get them to digest lower value forage and a tool to "incent" cattle.

When I put hay out, I plan on about 30 lbs of hay per head per day. Nursing calves at momma's side are still considered one cow in the equation. This roughly comes out to about one 1000lb roll of hay per head per month considering spoilage. Maybe this will help you to line out your needs.

The tubes have worked well for me. I fed hay with the tubs out and loose minerals. My cows pulled through the winter as good or better than when I sack feed with alot less hastle. Still not a bad idea to put a little feed out once or twice a week in the evenings to keep them use to coming up.

I started on the purina 12-12 mineral which ran me 14.95 a bag, in my front pasture, about 35 head, one bag lasts about 2 weeks. Recently went to the feed store and the MG feed rep just happened to be there, we compared bag tags with purina and MG and it had very little difference, I was quoted 12.00 a bag for it. Since you are in Palmer, Texas you should be able to find basically the same prices that I get. With 7 head one bag of mineral would last you a long time. The block mineral your using has very little benefit (if any) other than the salt in it. There's just not enuff mineral in em to do any good.

bobrammer":1ko9rgvo said:
Well, I'm feeling pretty stupid at this point. I'm typically only able to feed the cows 2 - 3 times a week. I was thinking if I put 100 pounds in the bunk feeder, that would tide them over.
Obviously, I'm way off base.

Based on 5 adults and 2 calves, how much should I be putting in the feeder?

I will add the 200 lbs mineral tub this weekend. Please forgive my ignorance. I appreciate all of the help. Bob
No ignorrance at all. Ask questions-get answers. I keep a high quality mineral out year round.Leave it out free choice. They may consume quite a bit at first, that consumption rate will taper off. They reach a Plateau on their needs, and will use less of it.With your small herd, you might need only about 75lbs a month.+or-.Before your pastures get too short, put the Tub out. Use a high quality Tub, such as Sweetlix Brand. Dont go for the cheap junk that TSC sells. They are a waste of money.You'll get results that you will see with a good tub, and your Cattle will benefit from it.

I'm going to disagree with most of you on this one. I agree that he is cubing too much, but there isn't a much better source of protein and energy for cattle than cubes. I'd back them down to one sack twice a week, then monitor condition. And better if it's not two days in a row. A lot of studies have shown that we can supplement a cow's entire supplemental protein requirements with a once a week feeding. Twice sure won't hurt anything, though.

In my opinion, the tubs are some of the most expensive sources of protein there are on the market. I can't understand why so many of you that correctly advocate loose minerals over mineral blocks think that it's okay for a cow to have to get her supplemental protein from a hard block of cooked molasses and urea. There is just no way that a cow can lick as much out of a tub as she can get from the cubes he is providing. Personally, I can't see any reason for him to pay for the high-priced protein in the tubs when he is satisfied with cubing them. Figure the price of tubs by the ton and it will make you choke compared to cubes. In my opinion, tubs are priced for the cattleman interested in convenience, not making money.

I'm going to partly agree with you Texan, and here's my formula:
Ton of 20% Range Cubes,TN. Pricing:230.00 a ton.
10 Sweetlix 200 lb. Tubs, same TN pricing 320.00
With the Range Cubes, I have to load the bags, rip them open, in 20 degree weather. Dispose of the bags. With Tubs I have little or no waste as with cubes , and calves will not get their fair share. Cubes are not free choice, Tubs are. 20% protein is more protein than most any Beef Cattle require. I like my tubs to not be over 12 %. So, if I were to solely feed cubes, I would also come up on the loosing end of economics, because the tub, and it's content will outlast a feeding of cubes around lets say 30:1 being very conservative.

Crowderfarms":23er5lay said:
20% protein is more protein than most any Beef Cattle require. I like my tubs to not be over 12 %.
You're correct that a cow doesn't need a full ration of 20% protein. But it's all about balance. If we're trying to balance her ration from a protein standpoint, the higher the protein content of the supplement, the less of it that's required. With low quality forage/hay, we can balance those needs much better with the higher protein supplement. And it's not required that it be free choice, as long as each cow is getting enough to meet her needs on a weekly basis.

It doesn't seem to me like he is concerned about the convenience factor. If he's wanting to check his cows anyway, and if he doesn't mind doing it, why not use the cubes?

Texan":24cfcqdp said:
Crowderfarms":24cfcqdp said:
20% protein is more protein than most any Beef Cattle require. I like my tubs to not be over 12 %.
You're correct that a cow doesn't need a full ration of 20% protein. But it's all about balance. If we're trying to balance her ration from a protein standpoint, the higher the protein content of the supplement, the less of it that's required. With low quality forage/hay, we can balance those needs much better with the higher protein supplement. And it's not required that it be free choice, as long as each cow is getting enough to meet her needs on a weekly basis.

It doesn't seem to me like he is concerned about the convenience factor. If he's wanting to check his cows anyway, and if he doesn't mind doing it, why not use the cubes?
One thing that is Characteristic of feeding habits, and types of feeds, is that Range Cubes, are probably the least popular type feed in the State of Tennessee. It's just something more likely to see fed in your neck of the woods, and the Gulf States.That's why I stated the word "waste", I have fed them cubes on the ground in pastures, just to give my Cattle a good looking over.Of course thats why they make feeders...Funny how a common practice in one area, is not done in another.I can reason with your logic Texan.

i have never seen a range cube in my life. i have an idea of what one might look like though. am i the only one that rides around and checks on cows that way?

Beefy":1hx0xck8 said:
i have never seen a range cube in my life. i have an idea of what one might look like though. am i the only one that rides around and checks on cows that way?

No, but we do seem to be in the minority! LOL

bobramer; Listen to Texan. He has given you excellent advice. I use cubes to supplement also. You're feeding much more than you need. When feed is real poor I will feed up to 2 or 3 pound per cow per day. That would be about 100 pounds per week for you. With the cubes you know they are getting the protein and nutrient intake. One additional benefit of the cubes: your cows will follow you anywhere. You need to move em somewhere, just rattle your cube bucket or bag. They will come a running.

I feel your pain with the grass situation. The few cows we still have up here we've been feeding hay since July.

Texan":lbat0bng said:
In my opinion, the tubs are some of the most expensive sources of protein there are on the market. I can't understand why so many of you that correctly advocate loose minerals over mineral blocks think that it's okay for a cow to have to get her supplemental protein from a hard block of cooked molasses and urea. There is just no way that a cow can lick as much out of a tub as she can get from the cubes he is providing. Personally, I can't see any reason for him to pay for the high-priced protein in the tubs when he is satisfied with cubing them. Figure the price of tubs by the ton and it will make you choke compared to cubes. In my opinion, tubs are priced for the cattleman interested in convenience, not making money.
I agree with you 110%.

Latest posts