Range cube price

Help Support CattleToday:

nap

Reaction score
What is a 50 lb bag of 20% range cubes going for in your area. Here in Arkansas, where the drought is reaching epic proportions, cubes are up to 8.75 a bag. I am looking for other supplements but with a shortage of hay I am not sure how to make this pencil out. We went through this last year as well and at the time I said another year like this would drive me out of the business. Maybe it will.

I don't have a clue....Bought a couple bags earlier in the year to pen some cows when the grass was green, but not something I feed.

I would not even consider buying cake in a bag. Too expensive anytime, anywhere, drought or no drought.

Did you price the cake in bulk? IMO bulk is the only way to go if you have a way to store it. I used to buy 2 tons at a time on my old 3/4 pickup wih a 8' combo box dedicated to the purpose. Went to town and got the cake and parked it under the shed so I didn't have to unload. Fed off the pickup too.

My local feed store usually has cake in overhead bulk bins, but not usually in the off season. Don't know what he has in stock right now. Usually he puts in more creep through the summer months.

nap":141s4h7t said:
What is a 50 lb bag of 20% range cubes going for in your area. Here in Arkansas, where the drought is reaching epic proportions, cubes are up to 8.75 a bag. I am looking for other supplements but with a shortage of hay I am not sure how to make this pencil out. We went through this last year as well and at the time I said another year like this would drive me out of the business. Maybe it will.
with a lack of hay, no way to pencil it out, except cull. I hope things get better for you.

Here a bag of 20% was 9.00
A bag of 30% was 11
It was cheaper to feed the 30%. 50% more protein for 2 bucks more penciled out. I could cut back how much was fed out each day and save money

$8.50 for 20% here
I've started feeding a couple of bags every other day and need to buy a couple of PVM tubs to replace what I had out.The pasture is burned up and and I hope I don't have to start feeding hay! :(

ousoonerfan22":3eijv8gf said:
$8.50 for 20% here
I've started feeding a couple of bags every other day and need to buy a couple of PVM tubs to replace what I had out.The pasture is burned up and and I hope I don't have to start feeding hay! :(
Them range cubes are about to go thru the roof. Wouldn't be surprised if they weren't $12 a bag this winter or more.

I just paid $11.25 for a 50 pound bag of 20 percent cubes about an hour and a half North of Houston

Boy's we just went through the worst drought since 1910.
You can not feed your way through it.
As hard as it is to do the way is to cull while you have decent price's.
Most everyone here culled 60 to 70%. All it takes to get more cow's is a checkbook.
It takes years to rebuild a destroyed pasture. You have to do the math when are you losing money feeding through a drought, slaughter cow's are bringing a 1000 dollar's here good replacement's 1600 to 1800.
The way my math work's you can put 800 dollar's in your best cow's and break even.
I culled 70%

around here 20 percent tindle or what the mills around here are making are about 8.25 to 8.50 and about 300 a ton in the bulk. it would kill me to have to sell alot of my cows but with feed this high it would not be easy to keep them either. we were probaly a week from feeding hay and i thought it might be to far gone this year but we have got a few good rains and the grass has realy came back and it looks like we may be okay but still to early to say for sure

Bulk
DCGF on June 25 $140/ton
DCGF on July 18 $210/ton

Even if there are no other outside forces pushing it (which there will be)
The normal winter jump will push the price up to $250-260/ton by Dec. Last yr Dec 11 DCGF was $175/ton.
there is a chance that corn syrup manufacturers will cut production(Ethanol already is)- and you might not even be able to get it at any price.

I wouldn't plan on feeding cows this winter to stretch hay.

Caustic Burno":2sfmrnax said:
Most everyone here culled 60 to 70%. All it takes to get more cow's is a checkbook.
It takes years to rebuild a destroyed pasture. You have to do the math when are you losing money feeding through a drought, slaughter cow's are bringing a 1000 dollar's here good replacement's 1600 to 1800.
The way my math work's you can put 800 dollar's in your best cow's and break even.
I culled 70%

I think we had all better listen to Caustic on this. Yea cattle are a business for some of us, yea cattle are a hobby for others. The truth is either way you can't feed hay and supplement from now till spring, and justify doing it. I'm going to give it just a little while longer, and start culling. I know we all worked hard to get our herds where we have them, but you just can't make keeping them work on paper. Keep the best of the youngest and start over.

Bigfoot":3bmo722m said:
Caustic Burno":3bmo722m said:
I culled 70%

I think we had all better listen to Caustic on this. Yea cattle are a business for some of us, yea cattle are a hobby for others. The truth is either way you can't feed hay and supplement from now till spring, and justify doing it. I'm going to give it just a little while longer, and start culling. I know we all worked hard to get our herds where we have them, but you just can't make keeping them work on paper. Keep the best of the youngest and start over.
Yep, last year I kept more than I should have and my pastures have paid the price. Makes me sick. I won't do it again.

Latest posts