Random things I see haying

Help Support CattleToday:

Are you making enough hay?

Ken
It's been difficult but we're getting there. 120-150 bales to go and we'll be in pretty good shape. I suspect we'll get that and more which will allow us to keep some good cows that would be culled otherwise. Booked some cull beans for a reasonable price to supplement protein. Ration should work out, have enough good feed for calving.

Lots haven't been lucky enough to have a place to go and make the wild hay that'll get us through. We have some incredible friends who've helped out over the years, I've never figured out what we did to deserve them. Over 800 pairs sold out of this area at the last sale and another sale coming on Wednesday.

I have a trail NH456 mower just like that. It works good behind larger tractors and seems to cut better than the 3 point NH451. Been looking for another, but every one I see is in bad shape and worn out. You have a heck of a power grid running through your property. Beautiful place.

I have a trail NH456 mower just like that. It works good behind larger tractors and seems to cut better than the 3 point NH451. Been looking for another, but every one I see is in bad shape and worn out. You have a heck of a power grid running through your property. Beautiful place.

Not my mower.but seems to work pretty good. There's a certain really fine grass that plugs it easily. But overall it gets a thumbs up as far as mowers go, miss my haybine but beggars can't be choosers.

I don't think I have ever seen high voltage power lines with that much sag.

The lines in the Elk pic go through several of my quarters. They're DC lines coming from the hydroelectric dams up North that feed Winnipeg. Erie feeling being under them - they crackle and pop. There's a whole other AC line that goes through beside them as well for local use. Nice thing is Hydro owns that land and if you own the rest of.tbe quarter you get use of it rent and tax free. Maybe the droop has to do with the wide range of temperature we see?

Thanks. They say plan for 5 bales per head here. I say they, because I'm still a newbie and listen. I got it to 4 bales last year. I spread 25lb Oregon rye per head. Thinking to double that this year. I figure more green, less hay is better. Gotta ask around first. I'm not a scientist.

Are thoes 9 foot sickle mowers ?

I had one 7 and one 9 foot sickle mower. Seems like one was a 454 NH. Couldn't remember the numbers on them.

Cut alot of hay with the 9 foot. 7 foot cut good but that extra 2 foot always helped out. Should have keep them.

I guess they still sale alot of them new.

We figure four bales per cow and many years get away with 3.5 or less. Bales weigh 1700 ish though.

Be careful putting up hay. Found this from the Lucas Countyan:
But what killed him at 19 yrs.? The usual suspects in the deaths of young adults at this time are diseases, ranging in the years before immunizations, appropriate sanitation and science-based treatments, from measles through cholera to tuberculosis.

John's death was dramatic enough, however, to be mentioned in area newspapers, including The Chariton Patriot of Aug. 15, 1877, where the following paragraph, headline "A Singular Accident," is found:

"One of the most singular accidents that we have ever chronicled befell a young man named John Ruble, of Liberty Township, this county, on Wednesday last. Young Ruble was engaged in hauling sheaves of grain from the field, and having a pitchfork in his hand struck one of the horse with the handle which the frightened animal resented by kicking and striking the fork, the prongs of which were toward the unfortunate man. The sharp steel was forced into his body inflicting injuries from which death resulted in a short time. He was buried on the following day."

Latest posts