I guess I’m haying

Help Support CattleToday:

1.6 in the gauge…which now has a tree that probably effected it's collection.
I'd went to bed real early. After three long hard days I was to tired to care.
Thunder woke me up. Wife was still up and nervous. I looked up the radar. Biggest part of the storm east of me except a very well formed hook on the south west end right over me.
Told her, you might want to get dressed could get a twister....and I went back to bed.

Well that was an intense hour of wind and rain…
Yes it was and the lightening and thunder was like I never heard before.
Like bombs exploding over the house.
We got about 2" of rain and a collapsed garage door. It was dark when I left so I haven't seen if any of the barns were damaged.
My wife went to insurance co this morning about garage door.
She can't get her car out but we have an extra pickup she can drive.

I am curious why anyone would want foxtail in their hay fields or pasture. Some came in on some hay here and is trying to establish. When my cattle got into it a few years ago 2 of them ended up with lump jaw.

What are its pluses and how can it be managed safely?

I am curious why anyone would want foxtail in their hay fields or pasture. Some came in on some hay here and is trying to establish. When my cattle got into it a few years ago 2 of them ended up with lump jaw.

It's meadow foxtail.

There are several different grasses called foxtail. Meadow foxtail and Creeping foxtail will grow in wetter situations and can be productive where other species wont grow.

We hayed somebody elses field with lots of foxtail a few years ago.
Never again, I can tell you that much. Our cows had a lot of problems with their eyes due to the foxtail crap in the hay and some lumpy jaw too.
I can't see a plus to any of that.

Latest posts