Ranching community Defined...

Help Support CattleToday:

Shame on all of you for hijacking mtsky's post. If you have to argue do it in your own post. Answer the question they asked or stay quiet. That being said a ranching community is simply a group of like minded individuals that work for their own good and the good of their community around them.

I still don't see the sin in RanchMan's definition of ranching community
quoted below and then because of it being singled out for the problems with welfare.
RanchMan90":1a7nag9n said:
Those that make an honest living at it.
Doing whatever it takes to support their lifestyle and family without outside income.

What am I missing? RanchMan what did you do?

Son of Butch":z6njqw5v said:
quoted below and then because of it being singled out for the problems with welfare.
RanchMan90":z6njqw5v said:
Doing whatever it takes to support their lifestyle and family without outside income.

Lol just thought this was a board for discussion :hide:

RanchMan90":2qte22um said:
Caustic Burno":2qte22um said:
RanchMan90":2qte22um said:
Those that make an honest living at it. Doing whatever it takes to support their lifestyle and family without outside income.

Does that include all welfare from the government that ranchers call subsidies.
I reckon it does. The drought relief program really helped a lot of ranch families in my area. $120 per head of broodstock per year the last 4 years. I don't keep enough broodstock around to make a claim. I suppose I am just a pilgrim since I have an off farm job also :lol2:
What? I vaguely aware there are subsidies for commodity farmers - not sure about vegetable farmers - but I've never heard of ranching subsidies!
Most Farmers and Ranchers (some are both) in my area help each other routinely.

RanchMan90":3v2pecrl said:
Son of Butch":3v2pecrl said:
RanchMan90":3v2pecrl said:

Lol just thought this was a board for discussion :hide:
No RanchMan... clearly it's not. Confess...Confess...
Apparently the Texans are getting in their vehicles as we speak to come settle the score.

Not to worry, I'm on your side. Texans are just ungrateful. Oklahoma is the glue that holds America together.
If it wasn't for Oklahoma sucking so much Texas would up and float away into the gulf.
:)

Eugene66":y3tzoaa9 said:
RanchMan90":y3tzoaa9 said:
Caustic Burno":y3tzoaa9 said:
Does that include all welfare from the government that ranchers call subsidies.
I reckon it does. The drought relief program really helped a lot of ranch families in my area. $120 per head of broodstock per year the last 4 years. I don't keep enough broodstock around to make a claim. I suppose I am just a pilgrim since I have an off farm job also :lol2:
What? I vaguely aware there are subsidies for commodity farmers - not sure about vegetable farmers - but I've never heard of ranching subsidies!
Most Farmers and Ranchers (some are both) in my area help each other routinely.
Go visit your local FSA office. They're just handing out money.

Yep, I use to take them.

They say arguing on the internet is a waste of time and you'll never change someone's mind. Well, that's not true. I have to blame Caustic for me not being able to buy a new squeeze chute last fall and as the reason I'm running around on a 15 year old atv. If I was still getting those checks I would be stimulating the economy and we would all be better off! But at least I don't have to be a hypocrite when I complain about welfare.

ChrisB":3pot03wf said:
Yep, I use to take them.

They say arguing on the internet is a waste of time and you'll never change someone's mind. Well, that's not true. I have to blame Caustic for me not being able to buy a new squeeze chute last fall and as the reason I'm running around on a 15 year old atv. If I was still getting those checks I would be stimulating the economy and we would all be better off! But at least I don't have to be a hypocrite when I complain about welfare.

:tiphat:

I'm sure that there are a lot of folks that got burned out by the fire that would be very thankful for some gov assistance to get them back on their feet, and also the gracious donations and prayers that have been sent to those in need from other ag related families and communities is a pretty good definition of the American farmer and ranchers way of life and love for each other as well as love of the land

crop hail":s4t204pv said:
For the most part, if farmers couldn't buy (subsidized) crop insurance, they wouldn't farm PERIOD. Think about it like running a business. What business would have hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of equipment (Tractors, plows, etc.)and spend tens of thousands on seed, fertilizer, fuel, repairs etc. and not insure it??? You would be a be nice fool not to. Farming and ranching is too risky of an endeavor for private insurance, therefore the govt. has to step in and subsidize it. Also most farmers or ranchers couldn't get a loan without having insurance to back the loan up, the bank isn't going to lend money on something as risky as agriculture and not have some type of protection.

I'm just as conservative as any of you and I dislike the govt. very much but this is one area that the govt. is somewhat useful. Crop Insurance actually allows the small guy to stay in business. Think about it this way, If there were no subsidized agricultural insurance, the small guy who needs a loan or cant stand the loss of years of drought or poor harvest is out of business and agriculture as we know it would all become corporate. Yes there would still be hobby farms but farming as we know it would look a lot different.

How much of the BS farm bill is food stamps for votes. If that wasn't in the farm bill you would be SOL.

Turkeybird":3135mefk said:
I'm sure that there are a lot of folks that got burned out by the fire that would be very thankful for some gov assistance to get them back on their feet, and also the gracious donations and prayers that have been sent to those in need from other ag related families and communities is a pretty good definition of the American farmer and ranchers way of life and love for each other as well as love of the land
Actually, no. I'm working with the ranchers that got burned out and most of them don't want a dime from the government. A few are willing to take some help on fencing but it's last resort and most of the help is coming from individuals. In fact most of them have even turned their back on help from 501C3 groups.
I will agree that those who have dropped everything to deliver hay/fencing/household goods/child care items etc. from hundreds of miles away(sometimes even thousands) are a perfect example of the ag community and I'm proud to be a part of it.

Son of Butch":37q3h2eh said:
In my area of Minnesota those making a living with beef cattle mostly identify as being farmers not ranchers.
Perhaps it's their strong but humble Skandinavian roots, but privately the term rancher is viewed as being pretentious
if and when it is used by farmers East of the Dakotas and North of Missouri.

No Skandinavian's here to my knowledge but its about the same here. We have some ranchettes here complete with longhorns and horses but for the most part we just have farms. Some of the farms receive no subsidies. Just depends on what you choose to grow. The ones not receiving subsidies have their necks stuck out and its hit or miss but the money you can make on the free market is sometimes incredible but you best have your ducks in a row and be ready to have your feelings hurt.

crop hail":3br7ap10 said:
Melking, you are absolutely right, I was pulled into an argument and hijacked the post. Mtsky, I am sorry.
It's okay, I figured it would work itself out. :)

melking":29zgpn32 said:
Shame on all of you for hijacking mtsky's post. If you have to argue do it in your own post. Answer the question they asked or stay quiet. That being said a ranching community is simply a group of like minded individuals that work for their own good and the good of their community around them.

Thanks melking... :)

Turkeybird":27xx4mxk said:

It's not the Government's job to bail you out of a hard time, or to do charity work.
That should be left to the communities, and Churches, since they actually know what the need is and how to fix it.

That's what Farming/Ranching is all about. Helping your neighbor, and spittin on the Government for telling you how to do your job. It's the last refuge for men and women who wish to work Freely, and Independently!

Something I fear is dying with the next generation.

Latest posts