Hazards of ranching in Arctic with RWF Caribou.

Help Support CattleToday:

Aaron

Reaction score
So yesterday evening I got a tingle in my left eye which grew into full born excruciating pain by evening that I dulled with left over Tylenol 3's so I could at least sleep from 8-1 and 3-8. Phoned optometrist early this morning for emergency appointment. Thought for sure I had scratched my eye, on what I have no idea. He gave me one quick look at a distance and then double check with his eye machine. Went to reach for his phone and sunk his head in dismay. He wanted so badly to take a picture of such a classic case of snow blindness. He said 'you look like you tried to weld without a helmet.' Completely melted the surface layer of my cornea. Surprised it happened at all with auto-darkening glasses and a ball cap on. Lucky it was only one eye. Gave me some drops to knock the pain and I bought patches to keep it closed, so I get to be a pirate rancher for a few days.

That's is a bad deal. I would have thought the glasses would have prevented this. Hope you heal fast but enjoy the pirate look while you can. Its fine for pirates to drink rum for breakfast and rum will definitely dull the pains.

Sorry to hear of that. We don't often have much of that as we don't have very many sunny days with alot of snow but I have heard of it from relatives years ago in Vt that farmed. Take care and hope it heals up for you.

So that explains the pic of you with the eye patch. Just thought you were reliving a childhood fantasy. Seriously, I hope that heals up nicely for you.

You mean you weren't wearing your Eskimo approved snow blinders?
4.2I3.jpg

Workinonit Farm said:
Ouch! That's a bit of a scary deal. I hope it heals quickly without any long term issues.

Quit using patch yesterday. Pretty much back to normal. Cloudy days the last two days have made it much easier. Any fragment of sunlight during the worst 48 hours was absolutely painful, even twilight was touchy.

Aaron said:
Workinonit Farm said:
Ouch! That's a bit of a scary deal. I hope it heals quickly without any long term issues.

Quit using patch yesterday. Pretty much back to normal. Cloudy days the last two days have made it much easier. Any fragment of sunlight during the worst 48 hours was absolutely painful, even twilight was touchy.

I'm glad to hear that it is better. :)