Ralgro Effect on Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I am planning on using Ralgro when I work my calves in the next couple of weeks. Even though it says for use on heifers, I have a concern on the effects if I plan on keeping any for replacements. The directions say "do not use after weaning in heifers intended for reproduction." Does this mean I should avoid using it on heifers if I am beginning weaning when I work them the first time even though they will not be bred for several months?

Had a friend that we run cattle with. He ralgro 3 heifers. I had 5 that I did not his 3 did not calve mine did same field and bull start to finish.

sstterry said:
I am curious as to what the effect is. It probably impacts the reproductive system in some way.

They look a bit masculine, breeding/conception is affected and their bags fill with fat which lowers milk production. This was our experience when we tried using it years ago. One wonders now why we were wanting to make our cows bigger.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Don't use it on retained heifers.

It depends.

I think if you dig you will find references that recommend using it shortly after birth, and then retaining about 10% additional heifers to make up for the non breeders. So what percent of your heifers do you plan on retaining and how well are they fed ?

I only retain out of certain cow families, and they are easy keepers, so their heifers get a pass.

Stocker Steve said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
Don't use it on retained heifers.

It depends.

I think if you dig you will find references that recommend using it shortly after birth, and then retaining about 10% additional heifers to make up for the non breeders. So what percent of your heifers do you plan on retaining and how well are they fed ?

I only retain out of certain cow families, and they are easy keepers, so their heifers get a pass.

Like I said, I'm no medical expert and I am only repeating what my vet told me when I asked him. This was long after the heifers had been born so perhaps his answer would have been different under the circumstances you described.

I use them on all my calves at first working. That is one to three months of age. At the second work which is at weaning or just before, I hold off on reimplanting heifers I want to retain. Its only 3 to 5 each year but over the last five years I have not had any problems getting my heifers bred.

bird dog said:
I use them on all my calves at first working. That is one to three months of age. At the second work which is at weaning or just before, I hold off on reimplanting heifers I want to retain. Its only 3 to 5 each year but over the last five years I have not had any problems getting my heifers bred.

Sounds good. I think they claim 90 days effectiveness for these implants?

There was a rather large commercial producer not far from me that used to Ralgro all his heifers ~90d old. He kept and bred his top heifers (all of which were implanted). He did not notice any difference in breedup on implanted heifers, but he stopped doing it after a few years b/c he claimed the cows were getting too big. The reason he started, he read an article that implanting heifers at 90-120d old would increase pelvic area. Be hard to quantify this IMO, but he said his pelvic areas were getting larger. At maturity he claimed those implanted heifers made MUCH bigger cows and were harder to keep in good flesh. Lots of variables in his 'trial' but long story short, he no longer does it, but claimed no effect on breeding that early in the game. I accidentally implanted on of my BEST heifers this past spring (she was ~7mos old at the time). Was in a hurry trying to get cattle worked and hauled to pasture before big storm hit. Just wasn't paying enough attention. I'm still going to give her a shot and see if I can get her bred. Maybe I'll get lucky...probably not, but she's worth a straw of semen to keep the dream alive!

Latest posts