raising veal calves

Help Support CattleToday:

farmgirl_14

Reaction score
hey, Im 14 and I am trying to raise two calves for veal. I just bought two calves from the auction on wednesday. They both are bulls, one is a jersey i think crossed with an angus and the other is a red and white holstine. I have been feeding then milk replacer, i give them each four pints twice a day. This is not the first time I have raised a calve, but it is the first time I have raised them for veal. I would like to know how long should I raise them before i sell them for veal? You dont steer them do you? I really dont know much about veal so anything you could tell me would be great. Thanks Alot

farmgirl_14":fxk38w5t said:
I really dont know much about veal so anything you could tell me would be great.

Perhaps you might want to google veal. I'm thinking you won't be nearly as interested in raising veal after you find out how it is done.

The Limousin Foundation has a marketing agreement with a veal company. Go to www.nalf.org and see if you can find a link to the veal company (I can't remember the name.)

I don't think they require them to be castrated.

Thanks for the advise so far but i think im going to adertise them or take them back to auction when they are ready

Be sure to keep records of your expenses so that you can see your profit or loss. This is a good learning opportunity.

Good luck.

thanks for the help so far. i am keeping track of what i spend on them. I have one problem they cant be veal anymore because the milk replace i was feeding them. The tag said DO NOT USE IN CALVES TO BE PROCESSED AS VEAL. so that sucks, i guesss now i am going to just make them beef. the milk is medicated so i am gussing they are not supposed to be fed medicated milk? Well i am going to try again soo so any thing you can tell me. I would like to learn as much as possibel. thanks again

With most medications there is a "withdraw period", where there is a recomended lenght of time after medicating where you have to hold the animal before allowing it to inter the food chain.

I would assume that the milk replacer you are feeding is that way. You will have to take them off of the medicated milk replacer for a certian length of time before processing the beef. Perhaps the withdraw period is long enough that the calves will be old enough to be no longer considered "veal".

Good luck with the calf raising project.

(sounds like way more fun than the 30 head of sows I had to take care of when I was your age. ;-) )

isnt the first step in raising veal keeping them tied down to stop the muscle from building up? I have no clue about veal to be honest. but in all seroiusness why do you want to raise veal rather than just raising up a corn fed calf and butchering that.

I really dont know myself. I just wanted 2 try it to see if i could make anything and you dont have to raise them as long. Also the price of hay and grain is so high so if i raise them too long i probally wouldnt make anything. I did raise a calf four mounths and in the end i think i made about $50. You know im learning also im only 14 so, ya and y not give it a try.

Latest posts