$ Raising Replacement Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I ran across an October 2013 Noble Foundation article that evaluated expenses over 9 months. The interesting part was that they included labor ($208/heifer) and the opportunity cost of not running more cows ($113/heifer). All this figgur'in totaled up to $1,730.

I would sell all the replacement heifers I raise each year for that!!! I sold one a couple of years ago that was almost ready to calve for around $1100. I didn't realize I was losing so much money! :bang:

They're bringing that and more at the weekly auction in my part of the country,Kansas.

by the time you figure every little thing tied to raising heifers youll come in at about $2.25 a hd a day.thats why its always cheaper to sell all your calves.an buy calved heifers for replacements.

bigbull338":3u35ese7 said:
by the time you figure every little thing tied to raising heifers youll come in at about $2.25 a hd a day.thats why its always cheaper to sell all your calves.an buy calved heifers for replacements.
Unless you're sold on the genetics you raised. Then it's worth the added value. Any purchased animal is a crapshoot.

hooknline":3t5aebpm said:
bigbull338":3t5aebpm said:
Unless you're sold on the genetics you raised. Then it's worth the added value. Any purchased animal is a crapshoot.

1 more +... You always keep what does better on YOUR land!!!! and You get double point if you live in the Fescue Belt !!!

Banjo":1roem9u4 said:
I would sell all the replacement heifers I raise each year for that!!! I sold one a couple of years ago that was almost ready to calve for around $1100. I didn't realize I was losing so much money!

You're not. BA replacements here average $1500 to $1550. Need to be fancy Simi x BA to make the top money at around $1800.

Now I am going to have to go out and sort the heifer pen again. Hard cull'in is a continuous job. :cowboy:

ive seen bred heifers bring $1850 at a few auctions put on here in NC by a certian auctioneer who has several good cow special sales per year, they are always high at his sales. Sometimes they would be in groups of 10-30 and the same person take them all at that price , from the same farm. they were always really nice heifers 7 mos.+

I've kept back a real nice group this year, they would bring top dollar after January. I won't figure what they will cost me to keep, it doesn't matter. I can't hardly buy this kind and if I did they would be extreamly high priced. We will breed these in January and they will start calving this fall. It's just part of building a herd.

I went back and updated my numbers. If you compare selling a 750# feeder in the spring vs. taking a replacement to grass and then selling her bred at a late fall sale:

750x1.55/lb $1163 (today' feeder price)
1% death loss $12
forage $199 (5 months of grazing and 2 months of month feed)
mineral $ 5 (we mix our own)
vaccine $4
labor $0 (they run w/ another herd)
opportunity cost $0 (our heifers pay better per acre than cow/calf)
breeding $41
open heifers $0 (they become profitable freezer beef)

So we can raise one for about $100 LESS than the AVERAGE local price. :banana: It can be a little hassle - - but I like supporting our top cows to make improvements. :tiphat:

The University of Ky. says you should sell all your calves and buy your replacements. My philosophy is its better to raise your own. My own calves already know my farm....the lay of the land so to speak, they are already assimilated into the herd.....no fighting to become accepted and bullied like newcomers are i.e. no transition stress, they are trained to my electric fence, no chance of bringing in disease. JMHO

It's important to remember that most people sell off their middle and lower cuts as breds, so your not replacing your top-end heifer calves with top-end breds. That is why I prefer to only buy breds from dispersals.

If nobody ever kept any replacement heifers, then where in the world would everybody get their cows? Some people think they can buy better heifers than they raise, and sell their own to market. I bet whoever buys their heifers is turning a bull in with them 6-8 months later selling these as breds for $$$$. I always wonder if people ever buy their own heifers back without even realizing what they did. What each person does with his calves is OK in my book, I'd rather keep my own and quit borrowing from the banker for cows. I did buy some registered angus heifers a couple months back, an you can bet ill keep their daughters if their any good.

hook here you can sell your top reg weaned heifers for $1600 to $2000 a hd.an then buy back the same or better genetics for $3500 a pair or less.

Kscattle":3u7cysnn said:
If nobody ever kept any replacement heifers, then where in the world would everybody get their cows?

Either you have a great centerpiece enterprise, or you are banking on appreciation, or you have a sharper pencil than I do, or you are an interstate marketer. I purchased 50+ weanling heifers one fall and went into the biz. It did not work out financially.We have a local guy who did the same thing a couple years ago on a bigger scale. He was holding for that $2000+ market but had to finally cash out at $1550.

I can run a few replacement heifers in a herd of other cattle as a low cost add on enterprise - - but I can not pay all the bills with it as the center piece.

I guess what I meant was that if everybodies heifers went to feedlot/slaughter, does it make since now? I didn't mean that EVERYBODY should keep their heifers. Sorry for the confusion

Im not agaist buying good cattle or raising good cattle. Both have to be culled hard... both have some that don't turn out... both can be very rewarding. Its more about the "buy" for me than if its a raised heifer... purchased heifer... bred... 3 in 1... sale barn special... ect. A good deal is a good deal no matter what it is. If you get stuck on one way you are missing out on a lot of opportunity IMO.

Banjo":20jz65y3 said:
The University of Ky. says you should sell all your calves and buy your replacements.

If they will make a blanket statement like that they are automatically discounted in my book. Every operation is different. I say this all the time... keep a little sample group and see what YOUR costs actually are.

There are many factors, to consider, that will determine what would be the best way to buy/raise your replacement heifers. Herds that are a 100 head or less - it is argued that it is more profitable to buy your heifers. Most of the expense is having to take working factory cows out of your herd to make room to produce your heifers. Herds over 100 head have enough room on their place to make that room with little effect on their bottom line. Economics of Scale. There are other options such as creating a relationship with high quality heifer developers. There are several such operations in the west. For much more info on this subject and much more check my web site - http://www.HEIFER.Pro Thanks -- Breed Heifers - Build Herds

Aaron":2r90f10o said:
It's important to remember that most people sell off their middle and lower cuts as breds,

I bought a bunch of these before I knew better. After 18 months I would have between 1/3 to 1/2 left. The rest were culls that did not fit our system.

Our system is a bit different than some. Color does not matter. Zero tolerance for disposition. The cows calve on grass and rotate through mostly improved pastures. They are expected to get fat by fall. Winter is a bit tough with bale grazing crop residue near some portable wind breaks. Most calves are not weaned till January. Replacement heifers stay on the cows till early spring. Last year I gave the heifers a little supplement in March, but they usually have to learn how to rough it.

Latest posts