raising commercial versus show cow/calf

Help Support CattleToday:

thatdoggJake

Reaction score
There are probably a lot of variables here and I lot of different ways to look at it... but...

If you took a herd of good cows that have been on good commercial bulls and put then on show type breeding bulls (lets just say you already had the bulls avaiable and there was no addiontal cost here) the next year how much would you potential lose on the calfs you take to the sell barn?

My thinking (which is purely a guess %100!!!) is that I could expect on ave calf weights to be down 20 lbs per each (compared to calfs that came from bigger commercial bulls). Thus, 20 lbs * 60 calves = 1200 lbs * $1.15 = $1380 loss. Therefore to get back to even I would have to sell X calfs overs sell barn price to break back even.

What do you guys think????

thatdoggJake":1dtqf77r said:
There are probably a lot of variables here and I lot of different ways to look at it... but...

If you took a herd of good cows that have been on good commercial bulls and put then on show type breeding bulls (lets just say you already had the bulls avaiable and there was no addiontal cost here) the next year how much would you potential lose on the calfs you take to the sell barn?

My thinking (which is purely a guess %100!!!) is that I could expect on ave calf weights to be down 20 lbs per each (compared to calfs that came from bigger commercial bulls). Thus, 20 lbs * 60 calves = 1200 lbs * $1.15 = $1380 loss. Therefore to get back to even I would have to sell X calfs overs sell barn price to break back even.

What do you guys think????

WELLLLLLLLLL I think it's a really strange question.

Let me get this straight, you are gonna AI your whole commercial herd to"Show" bulls, and you expect to get WORSE calves. :shock:

That is strange enuf on it's own but unless you are talking SPECIFIC bulls with quantifiable EPD's and calves on the ground to compare; your premise is so ambiguous that it makes little or no sense. :eek:

Other than that. Interesting idea! :drink:

thatdoggJake":3nn8eol6 said:

Depending on your ability to pick out bulls, I don't know that you would lose anything. The way I see it is the only difference between a commercial cow and a show cow is a piece of paper showing her lineage.

Hmmmmm, not much use for show bulls, huh? I'm thinking that your thinking is wrong. Show bulls are not automatically smaller, nor do they automatically throw lighter calves. Again, it all a matter of knowing what you're doing when it comes to breeding. Sounds to me like your more than a little bit prejudiced against show cattle.

TDJ, I agree your question is a bit ambiguous and I don't think there is a really straightforward answer to this. Msscamp did a pretty good job with her explanation, that "show bulls" do not necessarily throw lighter or less commercially productive calves, also most bulls shown come from seedstock producers who are producing the purebred cattle that dictate the direction of the commercial industry and provide that seedstock for commercial producers. In fact one advantage to using bulls that have been shown is that they usually have highly organized and detailed lineages and production records, which is definitely to your advantage as a commercial cow calf producer.

Secondly, it depends on EPD's and production records especially, and also a little bit on breed. If you have commercial Angus cows and you're going to breed to a straight Angus bull, you may or may not get lighter calves, I think research has shown sufficiently the advantages of heterosis for commercial producers. So lets say hypothetically you have an Angus based commercial herd (like just about everyone else in the U.S.) I think "show bull" or commercial bull, either way it would be in your best interest to take advantage of heterosis in a well planned crossbreeding program

Are you talking about bulls that are papered and shown or club calves.

I would not hesitate to use semen from a bull that has been shown, provided the epd's suit my needs. I expect unassisted calving and high ween and yearling weights as well.

thanks for the responses. :D

To be a little more clear. From the start I really didn't feel it would make a difference putting a show bull on my herd or a bigger commercial bull. Here is the story of what got my mind thinking...

I bought the herd from an older man in his late 70's. He had a couple of big charolias bulls on the cows that throw big, but very leggy calfs. I sold two of the large commercial bulls and bought a very good smaller frame black bull that has thrown some very good show steers. I plan on buying another in October. His thoughts were that I made a very bad mistake and the wean weights will be lower on the bull that I bought as compared to the bull I got rid of. But, my thinking was that the calfs would have less leg under them, but have much more across the top and wider in the back.

In the other ear I'm being guided by the person who helped me buy and raise my show steers for all the years I used to show. He doesn't think it would make much of a difference at weaning time, but then again he wants me to make sure I'm doing what's best for me (or at least what I think is best for me and what is going to be most profitable) and does not argue that the elder man knows what he is talking about, considering he has been in the cattle business longer than most people have been alive.

I always get good feedback here and just wanted to lay it out for ya'll.

I have 3 bulls left total. Two were in the orginal deal and one was bought later. Right now I have 65 cows and 32 calves on the ground with more on the way this spring.

Thanks!!!!

I also posted questions in the grasses forum and the tractor forum for all the cattle people out there who love to sare their thoughts and ideas!!!

thatdoggJake":3h6zzq3g said:
thanks for the responses. :D

To be a little more clear. From the start I really didn't feel it would make a difference putting a show bull on my herd or a bigger commercial bull. Here is the story of what got my mind thinking...

Well again its hard to answer some of these questions without knowing records on the cow herd, EPD's on your cattle, how youre trying to sell them (auction, private treaty, etc) and what goal you're shooting for. Just because a bull is a "show bull" does not necessarily mean he will be smaller than a commercial bull, unless the show bull you're using is a club calf type bull, which would not be good. The size difference you're referring to is the difference in breeds, a Charolais type bull is going to be bigger than an Angus bull no doubt, and you're headed in the somewhat right direction, because yes Charolais and other continental breeds will throw very framey calves, but they don't grade as well as British breeds or British/Continental crosses, and feeders don't like feeding them as much as British breeds because they aren't as efficient as British type or Brit/Cont cross cattle

In the other ear I'm being guided by the person who helped me buy and raise my show steers for all the years I used to show. He doesn't think it would make much of a difference at weaning time, but then again he wants me to make sure I'm doing what's best for me (or at least what I think is best for me and what is going to be most profitable) and does not argue that the elder man knows what he is talking about, considering he has been in the cattle business longer than most people have been alive.

Well, first off its not as easy as saying well this will or won't make a difference at weaning time, there are literally millions of factors that can play into profitabilty, what is your definition of profitability? Is it weaning a certain amount of lbs total of calves based on your cow numbers, is it having your cow herd pay for itself and nothing more? Or is it having each cow wean a calf thats half its bodyweight? Theres no way to just guess that a bull will sire high weaning weight calves, you can guess all you want, but one of the only more accurate ways to try and get these type of calves is to look at the EPD's of your bull. And keep in mind that weaning weight is not the cut and dry determining factor of good feeder calves, what about a bull that throws low birthweight calves or has a high calving ease? Is it more profitable to have all calves out alive, and make it to weaning and not have to pull 40% of them than it is to wean big calves but only wean 60% of them? Or what about having calves that are yield grade 1's and 2's and all of them grade Prime? It all depends on what your goals are as a producer and what you are looking for in terms of profitability, if it is purely high weaning weights you want than I suggest going to a large seedstock producer who sells 200-300 bulls a year to producers just like you, and who will have extensive records and EPD's on their bulls, heck a good commercial angus bull starts around $1500 and in a year or two a good commercial bull will have paid for itself in terms of increased profits from better calves.

Even better yet, and I don't know what your operation has in the way of working facilities, but the number one way a commercial cow calf producer can take advantage of better genetics is A.I. and if you're looking to improve your calves and the quality of the bulls you're using than A.I. is the way to go. Also look into horizontally integrated marketing programs such as those run by a local cattlemen's association, especially ones that include age and source verification.

Good luck, feel free to ask anymore questions, happy to answer them and see someone who is interested in improving the quality of their cattle

Club calf bulls tend to have higher birth weights (at least the more popular ones); they also tend to have the potential to have structural issues do to the traits they are bred for. Most club calf bulls are terminal and half of them carry genetic defects. So you would not have very many replacements if you breed this way. Heat Wave Heifers look great, high birth weights, no milk and pore pelvic measurements not what you want in a cow plus you need to market club calves to get your money out of them, more money out of your pocket. C sections and pulling half your calves is not where you want to be either.

Now where you may find a market is breeding your cows to produce replacement females for the club calf industry. So many of these cattle are bred for the terminal steer that the heifers they get are terminal as well. Find the bulls that are being used to produce the type of cow that the club calf producer needs and pursue that avenue. Meyer 734 sons, Doctor Who, Ali or his sons, Northern Improvement and his sons, Grizz are a few. Most of the cows are Simmy Angus crosses with a little Chi or Shorthorn in there some where.

Commercial, breed them black and sell them. Up grade your herd as you go.

I think there are quite a few that use "show" bulls in their herd.

Granted, we all can't have the grand champion in the pasture, but I think if you are selective and apply the same criteria that you are looking for in a herd bull, I wouldn't discount one that had been shown.

I personally, am very pleased with our red poll bull and he was shown. The crossbred calves are really nice and the registered red poll calves (although they have lower weaning weights than the crossbred) are nice looking as well.

Latest posts