Rainfall vs president

Help Support CattleToday:

NEFarmwife said:
************* said:
NEFarmwife said:
This morning I was nosing around on Angusonline and wanted to see how the President progeny are performing. How consistent and what folks appeared to be using President on. I only saw two of yours?

Two of them have DNA tests pending, but they are definitely President progeny because the dams were never exposed to a bull.

I have 2 sons and 2 daughters.
Then that would be why. I was only looking at the genomically enhanced EPDs to muffle out all the noise.

I noticed Voss (the one bidding against Herbster for America) only had one President (DNA).

So you ordered a performance pedigree on SAV President from AAA, because that info is not available online. You have to specifically request it. Is that what you did?

************* said:
NEFarmwife said:
************* said:

Two of them have DNA tests pending, but they are definitely President progeny because the dams were never exposed to a bull.

Then that would be why. I was only looking at the genomically enhanced EPDs to muffle out all the noise.

I noticed Voss (the one bidding against Herbster for America) only had one President (DNA).

So you ordered a performance pedigree on SAV President from AAA, because that info is not available online. You have to specifically request it. Is that what you did?

No. I pulled a report. It'll only give me 100 progeny without parameters in place. Bulls, dams, non-parents. So when I pull info on a bull, I always shoot for w/genomics. Helps narrow it down.

I've used it before to see how consistent one of our bulls sires are with his genomics vs what his non-genomic tested EPDs are. Helps give me a better glance at what's happening.

NEFarmwife said:
************* said:
NEFarmwife said:

No. I pulled a report. It'll only give me 100 progeny without parameters in place. Bulls, dams, non-parents. So when I pull info on a bull, I always shoot for w/genomics. Helps narrow it down.

I've used it before to see how consistent one of our bulls sires are with his genomics vs what his non-genomic tested EPDs are. Helps give me a better glance at what's happening.

Menu/Reports/EPD Reports/EPD sorts for non-owned animals

"Must have genomics"
Then input the sires Reg # at bottom after choosing which (bull, dam, non-parent) you want pulled.

I also use this to do parameters on a sire we're looking for but haven't met yet. Much like ABS but I get everyone's bulls, not just ABS.

NEFarmwife said:
NEFarmwife said:
************* said:

"Must have genomics"
Then input the sires Reg # at bottom after choosing which (bull, dam, non-parent) you want pulled.

I also use this to do parameters on a sire we're looking for but haven't met yet. Much like ABS but I get everyone's bulls, not just ABS.

Thank you, very informative!

NEFarmwife said:

"Must have genomics"

[/quote]

Thank for sharing with us NEFarmwife. Good info.

NEFarmwife said:

"Must have genomics"

[/quote]

Thank for sharing with us NEFarmwife. Good info.

I actually got see some SAV President sons sell today. They look like they will have good growth and muscle. Sold well.

************* said:
NEFarmwife said:
************* said:
I have 4, a far cry from 30, but those 4 are very consistent. They have Angus Source tests on them as well.

As of today, Angus Association shows that there are 63 registered, DNA proven progeny. You have 1/2 of the President's genomic proven progeny?

This morning I was nosing around on Angusonline and wanted to see how the President progeny are performing. How consistent and what folks appeared to be using President on. I only saw two of yours?

How are those "pending" tests coming along?

NEFarmwife said:
************* said:
NEFarmwife said:

One will most likely be finished this week or next and the other shortly thereafter. You can rest assured I will post the results, as I always do.

Also, I have another President coming in 1 1/2 months assuming all goes well.

Should also have DNA results back on another SAV Elation this week or next.

Just curious, why aren't you using Elation? The calves look top notch. Nothing against President, I will definitely use him more, but I've been very impressed with how these Elation calves have hit the ground, got right up, and never looked back. They are substantial to say the least.

I've been told by someone who is fairly important in the Angus business that the mating to watch will be President daughters to Elation, or Charlo daughters to Elation. Who knows, that could just be bulls.t for all I know.

************* said:
NEFarmwife said:
************* said:

One will most likely be finished this week or next and the other shortly thereafter. You can rest assured I will post the results, as I always do.

Just curious, why aren't you using Elation? The calves look top notch. Nothing against President, I will definitely use him more, but I've been very impressed with how these Elation calves have hit the ground, got right up, and never looked back. They are substantial to say the least.

I've been told by someone who is fairly important in the Angus business that the mating to watch will be President daughters to Elation, or Charlo daughters to Elation. Who knows, that could just be bulls.t for all I know.

What's taking so long? I sent off for results a couple days after you and got mine back two weeks ago.

I essentially have my own Elation with better numbers and a lot less cost. So, why would I? Big fan of the N Bar. I don't jump to the hottest bull and I'm not always riding the SAV bandwagon. Last year we didn't use any SAV genetics aside for President. When you have an entire herd of them, you have to bring some other stuff in. I know we used up some straws.

Only SAV I got this year was Rainfall and Supercharger and maybe 5 of each are actually going on my PB's. Rest on commercials.

Someone "big in the seedstock industry" wants me to distribute his semen and I'm not even up his butt.

NEFarmwife said:
************* said:
NEFarmwife said:

What's taking so long? I sent off for results a couple days after you and got mine back two weeks ago.

I essentially have my own Elation with better numbers and a lot less cost. So, why would I? Big fan of the N Bar. I don't jump to the hottest bull and I'm not always riding the SAV bandwagon. Last year we didn't use any SAV genetics aside for President. When you have an entire herd of them, you have to bring some other stuff in. I know we used up some straws.

Only SAV I got this year was Rainfall and Supercharger and maybe 5 of each are actually going on my PB's. Rest on commercials.

Someone "big in the seedstock industry" wants me to distribute his semen and I'm not even up his butt.

Do you think I don't have them? That's fine, keep thinking that.

Good for you on your Elation doppelgänger. Nothing like a bargain.

I personally am not interested in becoming a semen broker, I prefer to order it and use it.

As for non SAV genetics, if you read my other posts you would see that's not all I use or have.

For example, my Spur straws arrived yesterday along with a few others.

I have a pretty decent lineup in my tank that is not SAV

if sav has a Hereford bulll and painted him black. Then sold him for 2mill dollar

Branded would be on the semen list.

Hogtiming said:
if sav has a Hereford bulll and painted him black. Then sold him for 2mill dollar

https://postimg.cc/300MVpCx I figured out why Hogtiming doesn't like big cows. Can't feed them. Don't forget almost every cow ends up at a feedlot, with unlimited feed.

If you can't feed them , don't buy them. If your not smart enough to have them pay for their own feed try something else.

Richnm said:
Hogtiming said:

https://postimg.cc/300MVpCx I figured out why Hogtiming doesn't like big cows. Can't feed them. Don't forget almost every cow ends up at a feedlot, with unlimited feed.
We finish out our cattle and I can assure you, they still have rations. We only feed them X amount a day and only once. Once that bunk is locked up, it's gone.

************* said:
NEFarmwife said:
************* said:

Do you think I don't have them? That's fine, keep thinking that.

Good for you on your Elation doppelgänger. Nothing like a bargain.

I personally am not interested in becoming a semen broker, I prefer to order it and use it.

As for non SAV genetics, if you read my other posts you would see that's not all I use or have.

For example, my Spur straws arrived yesterday along with a few others.

I have a pretty decent lineup in my tank that is not SAV

I'm just wondering why your results have taken so long? And you're getting defensive? It's been 6 weeks since they were pending and critters that were born just weeks prior had theirs done like days after birth. Don't give me no mud stories cuz I actually sorted 55 cow/calf's for heats on our cows in 3ft mud this last week. About killed me but I'm still here and they got bred.

I told him no. It's a conflict of interest and I'm not selling out to nobody. I'll continue to buy in mass for our clients to save on shipping but in no way will I ever profit from a straw that isn't my own. But flattering none-the-less.

I've not seen a post son which you've stated that you've used anything else but I have been extremely busy with work outside of work, on top of work.

Since it's beautifuk out. Think I'll go see if this new horse of mine has any buck. I might name her Branded because she's also fun to razz.

NEFarmwife said:
Richnm said:
Hogtiming said:

We finish out our cattle and I can assure you, they still have rations. We only feed them X amount a day and only once. Once that bunk is locked up, it's gone.

If your finishing them yourself why do you only feed them "x amount" ? We feed unlimited hay a day mainly lower rfv alfalfa and silage. All your epds and numbers are as valuable as a 3F Epic straw without feed.

Bring your Herefords to my farm, let me feed them. It will be like magic ....Thier bags will magically appear.

Richnm said:
Hogtiming said:

I can feed them. Just am not going. Doesn't pencil out here.

Latest posts