Rain!

Help Support CattleToday:

Lammie

Reaction score
Big drops of real rain falling out there. I had heard we were supposed to get some, but I am so pleased. I hope it does this all day! I may get out there and dance around in it! There's nothing better than waking up to the sound of thunder and rain when you haven't had any to speak of in a month.

I got a total of 4 inches in one gauge and 2.5 in another and not a puddle to be seen. Thirsty ground just sucked it right up. Oh the green! Its amazing what water can do.

Forecast said it was supposed to do this till Monday. I got canteloupes out there that are gonna love this. Not to mention the pasture. I can still get pasture back. I was thinking that if the drought went on for much longer I'd have to start haying. Maybe I can postpone that for a while now. There's nothing better than rain in August.

Very Good. I am glad you are getting some of the rain you need. Sort of late for this year but maybe begin the recharging of the soil for next year.

Jalopy":34fdx5pi said:
Very Good. I am glad you are getting some of the rain you need. Sort of late for this year but maybe begin the recharging of the soil for next year.
The difference in being a few hundred miles farther south, a couple inches of rain every few weeks, some fertilizer, and a late frost, makes it possible to maybe get two more cuttings of hay in. For sure, it is time to start making plans for winter pastures.

"They" seem to be saying that it may rain around here starting tonight!! :banana: 50% chance!! :banana:

It's rained steady here since about five this morning. That's when I woke up, anyway. Nice soaking rain. Nothing radical. Words do not convey how very much we needed this. It will breath new life into this place.

I washed the truck yesterday. That's what did it. Best seven dollars I ever spent. I even left the windows down, but we got sprinkles last night and I closed them. Just think of how much rain we would have gotten if I had left a bed full of feed in it! Boggles the mind.

I still haven't had any significant rain. I figure I've got about two more weeks before I have to start hauling water to my cattle down the road. It's really serious. I haven't cut a single bale yet this year - there's nothing there. Lord, isn't ranching fun!

I'm sure proud that some of you folks are getting some moisture. Jo, I think you were in pretty bad shape last year but are you doing any better now?

Yawl enjoy it and send some my way every chance you get.

Lammie":18rdins8 said:
Big drops of real rain falling out there. I had heard we were supposed to get some, but I am so pleased. I hope it does this all day! I may get out there and dance around in it! There's nothing better than waking up to the sound of thunder and rain when you haven't had any to speak of in a month.

Glad to hear you're getting rain. We had another inch last night, too. The north wind blew very hard for a while and lots of lightening. Our electricity was off for about an hour. When the winds moved on over, it came back on, but it rained off and on all night. We've still got good chances for more tonight and tormorrow. The bermuda in the yard is greening up, so I expect it will in the pasture, too. This is good. :D I hope everyone gets it.

I got three inches today with more forecast all weekend. It's sunny out right now but clouds are rolling in.

Earl, I'm sorry. I know it's bad out your way. I am hoping that the pasture didn't go dormant already. I think we caught it just in the nick of time. I hope...

Lammie":2j71fa7w said:
It's rained steady here since about five this morning. That's when I woke up, anyway. Nice soaking rain. Nothing radical. Words do not convey how very much we needed this. It will breath new life into this place.

I washed the truck yesterday. That's what did it. Best seven dollars I ever spent. I even left the windows down, but we got sprinkles last night and I closed them. Just think of how much rain we would have gotten if I had left a bed full of feed in it! Boggles the mind.

So did you go out an make some mudpies? :p Didn't wash the truck cause it is still clean from last week before last. Leaving the windows down and a sack of feed on the back got me 1/10th of an inch. Third rain this month for a grand total of 7/10ths.

I have been siting here at my desk for the last 2 hours watching it poor rain outside. I pulled the weather up on the computer and zoomed in on my pasture. The color indicating rain is bouncing of my fence. For 2 hours ......... it just refuses to cross over. I do not believe I have been this frustrated since I was in high school chasing girls. Same results .... so close but so far away. :cry2:

novatech":2840jje7 said:
I have been siting here at my desk for the last 2 hours watching it poor rain outside. I pulled the weather up on the computer and zoomed in on my pasture. The color indicating rain is bouncing of my fence. For 2 hours ......... it just refuses to cross over. I do not believe I have been this frustrated since I was in high school chasing girls. Same results .... so close but so far away. :cry2:
I've been watching them fall apart, split and go around, pass on the right pass on the left, go right over the top and do nothing for 3 months. Know what your mean about being frustrated. Looks like some strong storms to the west.

Total rainfall for 91 days is 1 6/10ths.

Lammie":29cmm90k said:

Glad to hear your getting rain Lammie, we're dry here so if you get too much I'll take the extra :) .

Larry

Jogeephus":2vrr0rgl said:
I got a total of 4 inches in one gauge and 2.5 in another and not a puddle to be seen. Thirsty ground just sucked it right up. Oh the green! Its amazing what water can do.

Wow!, Jogee that's the way to do it . If you figure out what you did right let me know .

Larry

novatech":17qlq71j said:

From this post I've decided we have so much more in common than anybody could have ever guessed, from todays rain all the way back to high school . At least you're not alone .

Larry

Well, they kept decreasing our rain chances this weekend, so we didn't get any addition than what we got on Friday. It was a good rain, though, and I will take what I can get. It did help, as the grass came back greener. Still some chances today and tomorrow. I am hoping we can get more.

I guess Fay is coming your way, Jo. You may get more rain than you bargained for. I would like to take that Pepsi challenge. We have had much cooler temps, though, and that's wonderful. Highs below ninety in August is just not heard of here.

Lammie":341bl13u said:
Well, they kept decreasing our rain chances this weekend, so we didn't get any addition than what we got on Friday. It was a good rain, though, and I will take what I can get. It did help, as the grass came back greener. Still some chances today and tomorrow. I am hoping we can get more.

I guess Fay is coming your way, Jo. You may get more rain than you bargained for. I would like to take that Pepsi challenge. We have had much cooler temps, though, and that's wonderful. Highs below ninety in August is just not heard of here.

Lammie,looks like ya'll might get some more today. We're getting a slow rain as I'm setting here,and it looks like we're just starting according to the radar. Hope this continues up through tomorrow like they're predicting.

Hope ya get rain, Cal

It rained all day here with highs in the seventies. I could use one or two more days like this. I was kinda disappointed that it didn't rain this weekend as predicted, but was pleasantly suprised to see it raining steady at lunchtime. I'd say we got a couple of inches, anyway. I don't have any way of measuring. It's good and muddy, though, and that's a good sign.

Latest posts