Rafter GB

Help Support CattleToday:

we're getting some kind of weather here right now.. blowing wind at about 40mph, bucketing rain, freezing bloody cold... I'm expecting the power to go out at any point, lots of dead pines that'll come down on a power line.

I went across the road to talk to the folks working on the power lines, and they asked if I knew anyone with a tractor. So I said I had one. Used it to give a little extra pull for them bringing in the auger truck.

3 1/2 inches fell again last night. The ground is saturated so it was all run off. There was 5 feet coming over the road at the creek crossing around 5 a.m. It was down to a foot at 9:30 and I crossed.

bhb.. you'd never see that around here.. it's 500 vertical feet down to the river.. sounds like you got more water than you can use for sure and its causing problems

My daughter's place on the Brazos fronts the clear fork. Its been under 5 times this year. She and her husband just put in new fences. Now they are at 32 feet - flood stage. Flood plains are really nice for grass farming. But they are awful on years like this one.

We got power back this morning.

A 5th person died today in Brenham as a result of the storm. They had over 20" of rain there along with the wind. There were 4 drownings Thursday (1 in a mobile home and 3 in autos), and then today a 16-year old boy was helping with clean-up and was killed by a falling limb.

I wasn't feeling sorry for myself anyway, but that sure puts it in perspective.

backhoeboogie":3iyyoumm said:
My daughter's place on the Brazos fronts the clear fork. Its been under 5 times this year. She and her husband just put in new fences. Now they are at 32 feet - flood stage. Flood plains are really nice for grass farming. But they are awful on years like this one.
Yep, that water can sure hurt as well as help, and around here, there's some kind of protozoa that always becomes a cattle problem in flood years.

D2Cat":155n4kqk said:
Rafter S, that a Deutz you helping them with? I've got a 6206. Nice handy tractor.

Yes, it's an old 4507. My father bought it new from a friend of his that had a dealership in Roans Prairie. Early 1980's I believe. I also have a 6507 with a cab from about the same time. They were both good tractors for a long time, but need some work. I'm debating trading them both for something newer.

You guys be careful with those flood waters.

I'm sorry to hear pf all the trouble that everyone is having because of it. Heard on the news this morning, that the Brazos river is rising even more.

I hope y'all get some relief soon.

We just took in another 3 1/2 inches is an hour and a half. On top of the flooding we already had. Can't get home. Can't get to town. Roads shut down everywhere. Told the wife to get us a motel room. She can't check in to LaQuinta because they have no power. Lots of roof damage from winds. 5 foot of water across the road going home.

We were already flooded. Now we're innundated. Places that have never flooded are flooded. Cars are washing away.

True Grit Farms":3vmxl414 said:
I sure wish y'all would quit hogging all the rain. Sounds like y'all have a real mess happening out there. Stay safe.
I would sure like to send you about a months worth it has been crazy here.
Texas boys better get ready and hunker down on high ground looks like round six I thought five was the knockout.
Heard we can expect another 8 inches on top of the 3 feet we have already got.

Caustic Burno":3oixbkvn said:
True Grit Farms":3oixbkvn said:
I sure wish y'all would quit hogging all the rain. Sounds like y'all have a real mess happening out there. Stay safe.
I would sure like to send you about a months worth it has been crazy here.
Texas boys better get ready and hunker down on high ground looks like round six I thought five was the knockout.
Heard we can expect another 8 inches on top of the 3 feet we have already got.

House is on a high hill west of town. Probably 140 foot higher than the courthouse. I can see the courthouse from my back porch. I can see the lake too. Probably 4 miles to the lake but I have "Lake View" No way for my house to flood. But I can't get to it. 19 foot of water across the road at the creek crossing.

Just to put things in perspective, I took another wide angle shot yesterday, from about the same location I took the one on May 28.
The May 28 shot: (see the dark green 'bush' in the water on the left?
DSC00199_zpsvr1xbydc.jpg

The same bush is fully visible here--it's actually a little cedar growing on the side of my wing dam.
DSC00215_zpsigm1oesf.jpg

:shock: Oh wow! That's alot of water.

The forecast is looking pretty dismal. :(

Hoping and praying for some relief for all of you that have been affected by all this rain.

Latest posts