Rafter GB

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
Y'all ok? Got power back yet?
Small twister came through here right before daylight rained all night like pouring it out of a bucket. Electrical crews out trying to restore power.
NOAA predicting more of the same today and tomorrow.

I'm okay. Thanks for checking. No damage to my house, but others weren't so lucky. It looks like a war zone for about two miles in every direction. I don't know when we'll get power back.

Drove to town a while ago. Got a breakfast taco and a package of cookies, and iced down some bottled water, Dr Pepper, and Budweiser, so I'm set until tomorrow.

Thankfully, my wife left early yesterday to spend the evening with her sister in Houston, so she wasn't home by herself when all that was going on. She's going to stay there until at least tomorrow. She heard somewhere that 290 is closed, so if that's right she couldn't get home anyway without driving a couple hours extra.

That's a relief if GB just checks in.
It is still raining here I have seen wet years but nothing like this in my lifetime.
Remember my grandpa saying it was really bad in the early forties with floods all spring.

Ok here-cow peeing on flat rock doesn't describe it. Had about an hour's break from it earlier, but the lightning and wind have started back up now and it's just coming down in barrels.
They got power restored to within a mile of my place right after daylight, but not thru the bottom and across the river---they don't work on it while it's lightening and I don't blame them one bit. A bolt hits the line somewhere--they're toast. Entergy doesn't have a clue when power will be restored, but I went to town earlier for more gen fuel and saw a buttload of bcket trucks parked at Love's truckstop so I guess they have a pretty big outage close by yet. damn trees!! :mad:
I'm really tired of this--this will be the 4th high water since Feb and it's going to be bad here on the East Fork, and still got to get thru another hurricane season yet..
If my wife were done with school, seriously--I'd unload this place and go back to West Texas.

The memory of 2011 is fadin fast no matter what RafterS says......I thought TB is a lot further West and South. BarbWire is up around Roans Prairie/Shiro on Texas30. That's not far from CS. Still Grimes County I think.

Caustic Burno":1j13tmch said:
TB is over near CS/Byran did he fair ok?

I don't know exactly where he is, but parts of B/C got hit hard. I talked to one of my cousins a little while ago. He said they had 21" in Brenham yesterday.

Glad to hear you guys are okay.......thus far.

Saw on the news & weather this morning that you all were getting pounded.....again. *sigh*

Good luck to you all, stay safe.

Been raining in Jasper County since yesterday.. but I think we are only at 8 inches or so .. looks like you guys got hit harder .. hope everyone is ok.

We are at 7 inches since midnight had 3 yesterday and it is freight training right over us. It is coming down so hard it looks like thick fog.
You couldn't get an emergency vehicle to the house felt for a helicopter I now live on an island. Both creeks on each side of the hill over the road.

Just drove down and looked at the pasture it is only on the hill now. The creek that runs through the middle of my place is usually four foot wide right now about 1200 feet wide. After what I am seeing this will probably be the event I hang it up. Too old to rebuild all this water in the pasture about ten feet deep and it is still coming down with no relief in sight.
Emergency management just put out people living below the dams in the county to evacuate as they are stressed to the max.

We decided we better get while the gettin was good and barely made it out as it was. US59 closed N of Cleveland. FM2025 closed. Drove thru 2' of water on FM 945 and I was one of the last the Sheriff Dept allowed thru. Looks like the worst of the local runnoff is over for the night, but the river itself is now spread out all over the place. I'm camped at my sister's place till daylight--and glad not to be hearing that generator run.

JSCATTLE":1wb7zjyj said:
Just heard the be nice on Lake Amanda broke in colmesniel..
I have a good friend that lives there heard they are expecting lake Tejas dam upstream to break it was built by the CCC program that wasn't yesterday.

Been an interesting day. Still no electricity, tho of the 17 customers on my side of the river, 3 have power and Entergy is at a loss as to why the rest of us don't. They were walking/wading the whole line right before dark to try to figure a plan for 1st thing tomorrow morning. I had to drive 45 miles round trip to buy gasoline today :bang: :bang:

Some pics:
1. Some moron in an Expedition tried to drive thru high water right in front of my place and went over the side. Got him out, and DPS arrested him for DUI.

I drove the old Ford 3600 thru some water, accross my pond dam and took this panoramic shot of about 1/2 the place, looking back toward the house.

Nearest paved county road to me, culvert washed completely out. (There's another way around thru a guy's yard so I could still get in and out) That's a county gradall boom and bucket on the right side of the pic--they're getting ready to pull the steel pipe out and replace it with a new poly pipe.

Water running around the West side of my pond dam.

Water is within 6" of topping the dam. Highest I have ever seen it since flood of record in 1994.

So far, my County still believes in He whom we can't talk about here. (San Jacinto County Precinct 3 Constable Sam Houston.

Glad yall are ok, the news footage we saw of people trying to save their cattle was tough to watch.

You need to cross those Char cattle with catfish GB then they could graze underwater.
Did you see the forecast starting Tuesday rain predicted for five or six days. 2011 is becoming a distant memory

The power line crew dropped off a new service pole here a few minutes ago to replace the one that broke bringing power to my house. They said they plan to get back later today and set it, and I might have power back today, but no promises.

We had church outside this morning. It wasn't half bad. There was a nice breeze from the south, and it was cloudy. It's gotten hot and humid since then though.