RA Cow/Calve Pairs

Help Support CattleToday:

RedAngus121

Reaction score
What do Judges look for in Cow Calve Pairs? Im looking to show a First Calve Heifer and her January Calve.

The Cow has never being Led or even Broken i dont think. she Pretty Quite cow will it be hard for me to get her to Leed Being 2 Coming on 3 and Never seen a Halter?

Hope to get a good pictures of her and Calve on here by next week.

A good way to start is to run her through a chute and put a halter on her. Let her drag that around for a few days before you start pulling on it or anything.

Put her in a small pen and start combing and scratching her with a show stick before you even try to halter her. If she's quiet start carrying the halter with you but don't try to put it on right away. Feed her in the small pen and stay close. Breaking a cow isn't much different than a calf, they're just bigger and stronger.

Judges look at cow/calf pairs pretty much the same as regular animals. The cow and the calf needs to be put together right the same way as bulls and heifers showing but for the cow it is very important to have a good udder and attachements. She needs to prove she is feeding her calf so the calf needs to be a good growthy calf as well and the mother needs to show that she is improving your herd through your calf. I have halter borke a 5 year old Angus before not impossible but definately harder. As long as your cow is food driven that is a big plus

The reason you oughta run her through a chute to get a halter on her before anything else is because that way, you can let her drag it around for a few days. She'll get to stepping on it, thus putting pressure on it, and will get used to having that tugging sensation so that it's not totally foreign to her when you start to try to pull on it, or when you tie her up. We usually don't start scratching on them until we start tying them up.

Latest posts