Questions

Help Support CattleToday:

DKQ

Reaction score
Hi. I know pretty much nothing about cattle, and I've got some questions that google is failing to answer for me, so I was hoping that someone here could help me out. I'm loosely considering the idea of getting a cow(s), but I'm not anywhere near making a decision yet.

First off, I am considering getting a single cow to put out with my horses. Would it be better to get a pair? Or would the horses be enough company?

Do cattle do alright being in electric wire fencing?

The cow(s) would be a pet, pure and simple. I've read some information about bottle calves- are they generally easier to tame? At what age should I get a cow if I want to keep it as a pet?

Can a cow ride in a straight-load horse trailer? (I'm assuming not, as I've only seen them in livestock trailers).

If I were to get a single cow to put with my horses, would it absolutely freak out if I left it alone for a couple of hours (if, say, I were to go on a trail ride) or would it be okay? Or, again, is it considered wrong to keep a singleton cow?

What/ how much to cows eat? How is it comparable to a horse's daily ration?

thanks for any help! I really appreciate it.

Others here will give you knowledgeable answers, but as to your last question, I would swear that my daughter's 2 horses eat as much as my 10 cows.

I don't really want to discourage you, but first off cows are not pets. Most people who are injuried or even killed it was done by their "pet" cow/steer/bull.

As for your first question.
If the cow/steer/bull is used to electrical fences they will respect it. If they have not been around that type of fence, put them in a corral with the hot wire running inside. They learn to respect it.

Bottle calves can be a big danger for someone who has no experience with them. The one we had liked to run up to you and butt you. May seem cute when they are small, but it gets dangerous when they are older.

we have loaded cows/steers/bulls into a straight load trailer.

My best suggestion is do NOT get a cow/steer/bull for a pet.

first are your horses used to cattle? if not that is where you may have a problem. do you have a stud? if so i wouldnt put him in with cows as he will be more apt to chase them around bighting and put them down.
horses are harder on ground than cattle this is why around here for a stocking rate when leasing ground they figure 2 horses equal 1 cow.
anything is ok for an electric fence horse cow dog it doesnt matter they will learn not to touch it. but typically you need a better fence for a cow than a saddle horse.

Latest posts