Question?

Help Support CattleToday:

It's like anything. You can only get out of a project according to what you put in.
The farm that wanted $3500 & was sold out - has done a LOT of work building quality cattle and a great reputation. In the same area, another breeder may have the same breed of cattle and can't give them away - no quality.
I can't see the facination about "small" breeds. They may not eat as much, but they don't give you much in return - and every live animal takes just as much of your TIME no matter what size they are.

I have raised Belted Galloway cattle for just over a year.
There is a strong demand for good-quality, purebred Belties.
I have people call or email me just about every week looking for cattle.
As a result, I have bought extra females and sold them to folks looking to get started.
I have helped start 5-6 new herds in the past year.

You will take a hit at the sale barn if you market them that way, but you will get a premium
if you sell breeding stock or Beltie beef from extra steers or cull heifers.

They won't grow quite as fast as other British or continental breeds, but will certainly grow faster than
the minis you have mentioned. They also don't need the grain the larger breeds need to grow/finish.

You will find them to be conversation pieces.
We regularly have people stop on the road to watch our baby calves.

I can help you find cattle if interested.
email me at: [email protected]

Good luck and have a Beltie day!

I thought about goats too but like cow. I don't know a whole lot about goats just the little research I've done. Maybe I will just buy my own cow or two use my hubby's bull and sell the babies for my own cash. I can take the stud fee out in trade with hubby ha ha. Or there is always bottle steers I could do.

We are a small herd located in West-Central IL. Chapin, to be exact.

We have bought cattle in IL, WI, IA, MO and SC over the past year or so.
Sold them to new breeders in IL(4-5) and CA.(1)
Inquiries from MI, IA, MO, KS, KY, IN, PA, NY, OH, AR, UT, WY, NE, and Quebec.

I could sell more cattle if I had 'em!

Have met many good people already. Looking to meet many more.

Rahe Family Belties":3s27oi11 said:
We are a small herd located in West-Central IL. Chapin, to be exact.

We have bought cattle in IL, WI, IA, MO and SC over the past year or so.
Sold them to new breeders in IL(4-5) and CA.(1)
Inquiries from MI, IA, MO, KS, KY, IN, PA, NY, OH, AR, UT, WY, NE, and Quebec.

I could sell more cattle if I had 'em!

Have met many good people already. Looking to meet many more.

That is good that you live where the breed is popular.

The breed is popular, but rare.
There were none within 50 miles of me when I started.
Now we have 4 starter herds within 25 miles.
I have had to travel to find cattle, but have shared them with others.
A good-quality yearling heifer or cow can be bought for about $1500.
Very affordable cattle once you find them.

Rahe Family Belties":1w8fcx1g said:
The breed is popular, but rare.
There were none within 50 miles of me when I started.
Now we have 4 starter herds within 25 miles.
I have had to travel to find cattle, but have shared them with others.
A good-quality yearling heifer or cow can be bought for about $1500.
Very affordable cattle once you find them.
In our areas, BA x Belted and HF x Belted crosses are more common on commerical operations than the purebred Belties.

sandyhill":2ynbtftr said:
I thought about goats too but like cow. I don't know a whole lot about goats just the little research I've done. Maybe I will just buy my own cow or two use my hubby's bull and sell the babies for my own cash. I can take the stud fee out in trade with hubby ha ha. Or there is always bottle steers I could do.
Have you thought of use a different breed that can fit in your husband's operation?

@taurus yes I have and Im thinking I may do that. I like the look of the belties but dont want to lose a bunch of money either. My hubby is the best and is ok with what ever I do as long we're not losing to much money.

Start with quality individuals, care for them properly, promote your breed, and you should not lose money.

Check out Beltie.org for more info and listings of cattle for sale.
You'll find Beltie people are very supportive and helpful.

Good luck in whatever direction you choose.

Have a great Beltie day!

sandyhill":13jlwu2m said:
@taurus yes I have and Im thinking I may do that. I like the look of the belties but dont want to lose a bunch of money either. My hubby is the best and is ok with what ever I do as long we're not losing to much money.
You don't have to use Belted Galloway, but there are few solid colored breeds you might take a look at them. Herefords, Galloways, Tarentaise, Red Poll etc

sandyhill - not sure where exactly you are in northern KY but there is a small herd of belties around Union. I don't know that I have seen any miniature Herefords around here.

I took a class last spring that ABS put on to learn how to AI cattle. The class size was pretty small (10 I think). It was in Williamstown at the fairgrounds. It was a 3 day class. Even if you never AI a cow, it is a great class. I learned a lot. I was able to AI my small herd this year. Took a few heats on some of them, but I got them all bred. It is a great thing to know how to do. You can get some quality genetics into your herd really easy (and fairly inexpensive) by using AI. If your interested I can get you in touch with the ABS rep for the area.

Best of luck neighbor! I am in northern Pendleton county.

Wow small world, Im in burlington and union is were I saw the belties first and a farmer by me had a couple not long ago but I guess he sold them. I have not really seen the mini herefords around here just saw pics and read about them.

Latest posts