question on cow's heat cycle..

Help Support CattleToday:

jmbadavis

Reaction score
Has it ever happened where you had cow that came into heat, she was AI’ed. You watched her for the next heat cycle, she showed signs so you had her AI again. Then you never saw further signs of a heat cycle so you assumed she was bred on the second AI. Is it possible she was pregnant the first time around? I have cow (this is her 2nd calf) and she seems much bigger this year than last year. Or is that common with second time around pregnancy? She was bred the first time on June 30, second time was July 25th. Had the vet pregnancy check in November. She was pregnant but he couldn’t exactly tell how far along. She seems to sag more in vulva area than the first time, but that would make sense.

jmbadavis":umud4x0b said:
Has it ever happened where you had cow that came into heat, she was AI’ed. You watched her for the next heat cycle, she showed signs so you had her AI again. Then you never saw further signs of a heat cycle so you assumed she was bred on the second AI. Is it possible she was pregnant the first time around? I have cow (this is her 2nd calf) and she seems much bigger this year than last year. Or is that common with second time around pregnancy? She was bred the first time on June 30, second time was July 25th. Had the vet pregnancy check in November. She was pregnant but he couldn’t exactly tell how far along. She seems to sag more in vulva area than the first time, but that would make sense.
ok you bred the cow AI when she was in heat.then bred her again on the 2nd heat.it is possable that she was bred on the 1st heat.but came into heat 21 days later.wich means she couldve been in false heat.or didnt settle till the 2nd service date.when she calves you should be able to tell wich heat she was bred on.

jmbadavis":z4uqtgnc said:
That is my question, can a cow have a false heat?

Most anything is possible but.............. not likely.

Might have been a "Heat Detector" misdiagnosis. :lol: