Question on bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

JebidiahJones":28uh75tx said:
How do you tell if a bull is one you want to keep for breeding? I've read about confirmation but I don't have anything for comparision.

there are lots of factors involved in selecting a bull.. i will probably leave some out, but here goes some...

how he looks, how well he grew off, his epd's, the cows you are putting him on, attitude, blood lines, fertility, what you plan to do with his calves, etc

when people select a bull to ai their cows to, they select bulls with the traits they want to put into their herd.. some of the factors listed above are included in that decision making process.

hope this helps some.

jt

For a small operation of less than 30 or so cows, keep in mind. "Your cow herd is where you are at. Your bull is where you are going. You bull is 1/2 your herd".

Point is, your bull will be providing 1/2 the genetics for your calf crop. You want to only keep a bull that is superior and will help you achieve your goals at improving your cattle. If buying a bull you want to keep the same things in mind. Buy the best you can afford.

Latest posts