question from a new guy?

Help Support CattleToday:

hounddog

Reaction score
Hello all, I just found this site today while looking up info on bucket calves.
I am from NE iowa , I grew up on a grain and beef farm here. I have had a heard of 15 angus cows and an angus bull. for the most part I have gotten out of the farming and I have them more for a hobbie around here. But I am thinking of getting back into raising Holstein Bucket calves to 350 to 500 to sell. I have raised around 300 this way. but the last time that I did this was 13 years ago. I have gutted the milk stantions out of the barn at my place and have put pens in. but haven't got any calves yet.
I was wondering if anyone has any imformation orsites that have information on raising bucket calves.

hounddog

Hound dog,

Welcome to the board!

I'm not experienced with helstein bucket calves, but if you've raised 300, I'm sure your more experienced than the average. There are a lot of very experienced cattlepeople on this board, and everyone seems to have their specialty. I'm sure someone will come along soon and try to help with this.

Welcome....agree with Aero, Milkmaid should log on after morning chores...sort of the go-to-gal on Holsteins.
We're just a small market beef operation.
Sue & Dave Mc

Welcome from north Alabama as well. Sorry I ain't much help on bucket calves but several here are. Milkmaid is one of the best.

Milkmaid is definitely the person you need to talk to! She is amazing! If you want to get a head start, you could do a search for posts by author. That would give you some excellent tidbits about raising holstein bucket calves.

Well, wow, just found this thread, and thanks for all the compliments, folks. :D Went and made my week...sure makes me feel good.

That all said, I don't know everything. Wish I did. Whether or not I can help you, hounddog, depends on what info you want. What exactly is it you need/want to know? Just "information about bucket calves" covers a pretty wide base, LOL. Might also take a look through some of my other posts as you might find something you can apply, and it'll save me some typing. ;-)

I think you will find the answers you need here Hounddog. It seems that specific questions are better answered than general questions. I mean that when a particular question arises you will usually get indepth answers. If you have raised 300 calves you should pretty much be up on things. Good luck and welcome to the board. Baron

thanks everyone for the welcome.
Milk maid one thing that I am wondering is what are your thoughts on individual pens vers group pens. I have my own thoughts on this, but I am open to any suggestions that anyone would give.

Many years ago we raised a lot of calves every year. We went to individual 4X8 pens with a shelter over the back half with totally enclosed sides and back in that area and open slats for the rest. After we moved a calf out we sprayed the hutch with heavy clorox and water and then moved it one length away from where it had been so the sun could rech the ground where the it had been. We never had a problem with one calf reinfecting the others and by them being seperated but in sight of each other we didn;t have problems with them sucking each other. After weaing they were all put in one large pen then eventually turned out on open pasture/range to fend for themselves with older calves.

dun

I raised a bunch of holstine heffiers as a teenager.
I raised them in an old grade C dairy parlor they were in 20"x60"
indivdual stalls raised 4" off the floor standing on expanded metal. fed in a bucket, left them in there till they would eat
1 gallon of calf treat in a 24 hr period.
Then into a group pen to the age of three months.
Then into pasture.

hillbilly

Ditto to what Dun said. Only time I put new (young) bottle calves in the same pen is when they're with a cow, ie-nurse cow. If they can nurse they're OK, no cow and they'll suck on each other. I've ended up with frostbitten ears, hernias, and navel infections due to calves sucking on each other. Once they are weaned they do alright penned together (provided it's a large pen), just not as young calves, say less than 2 months of age.

Latest posts