Question for the lever action gurus.

Help Support CattleToday:

highgrit

Reaction score

I bought a new box of 32 special cartridges and they won't function in my Grandpa's old Winchester. The rim of the cartridge is to wide to fit between the receiver rails. But the couple of old cartridges function perfect. What's going on here? I'm going to buy a box of old shells and take it hunting.
M5, got me thinking about taking my Pops old 32 special hunting.
On the barrel it has, Manufactured by the Winchester repeating arms company.
New Haven Conn. U.S.A. Patented August 1894
The serial number is 551049
Can someone please tell me how old this rifle is. Thanks, Vince

I got looking around and think it was manufactured in 1909. Pretty darn old.
M5, let's see who kills the first deer with their 32 special. Just for the fun of it.

highgrit":i06fs04s said:
M5, let's see who kills the first deer with their 32 special. Just for the fun of it.
Deal if we wait till Christmas day to start. Mine is slightly ( 43 years)newer and a Marlin.

highgrit":156x5mlz said:

I bought a new box of 32 special cartridges and they won't function in my Grandpa's old Winchester. The rim of the cartridge is to wide to fit between the receiver rails. But the couple of old cartridges function perfect. What's going on here? I'm going to buy a box of old shells and take it hunting.
Are you 100% sure the ammo you have matched the rifle. There was several different versions of the 32. Special was just one. I have a 32 S&W and not sure if it is the same as a special or not. There was also a 32 rimfire.

I'm not hunting till the weekend so you should win easily. I never really gave hunting with that old gun much of a thought. But now I'm also planning to wear a pair of my Grandpa's old LL Bean hunting boots. I have pictures of him wearing them in Manitoba in the 1950's.
Should be a pretty neat deal.

What exactly is the nomenclature on the ammunition box and the one on the rifle?

Are you talking about the 32 Winchester special? I have a 1920's model 94 with the saddle ring on it. I have not shot it in years though.

Dun, I'm not exactly sure what your asking. But the barrel is stamped 32 W.S.
Allforage, mine has a place where the ring should be but it's been removed.

I have an old 32 rimfire that was my Great or Great Great Grandpa's. It's an old rolling block, not sure of the manufaturer.

The very old rifles should have been 32 special and the later ones were 32 Winchester special. I think they were a difference in the ammo. 3way or CB, straighten me out on this. My brain aint working.

highgrit":38fobsqz said:

If I looked it up correctly it was made in 1910. 32 winchester special is listed different but not sure why. Again not sure what the difference is.

highgrit":12df1ah8 said:

High that old gun is broke, send it to me I should have it repaired in a couple of year's.
The rim should be the same diameter as a 30-30. 32 Special, 38-55, 32-40 and 30-30 should have the same rim.
All can be resized for 32-40.
Never ran into that one before maybe a bad run of brass.
32-40 cases can be formed from .38-55, .30-30 or .32 Special brass. According to the 26th Edition of the Hodgdon Data Manual

The 32 Special replaced the 32-40

highgrit":jvabtqpi said:

I already won killed one three weeks ago with my 32-40 yall are late to the show.

kenny thomas":yehlqe9w said:
The very old rifles should have been 32 special and the later ones were 32 Winchester special. I think they were a difference in the ammo. 3way or CB, straighten me out on this. My brain aint working.

There was Winchester 32 self loading that has long been gone I don't think he could even
find the ammo, also the 32-20 completely different cartridges. The 32-20 still has some popularity in the cowboy
shooting community.
This 32 WS cartridge is based on the .30-30 Winchester cartridge of 1895, but differs from the .30-30 in bullet diameter.

Latest posts