Question for the Board

Help Support CattleToday:

midTN_Brangusman

Reaction score
I pulled blood on the heifers last week and sent samples to BioPryn for pregnancy testing. Had a 94% pregnancy rate so I am very pleased. About three days after I pulled blood I noticed the bull was chasing the 105C2 heifer for about two days so I assumed she was open. Got the results today says the heifer is bred. Has anyone had this happen before and if so did they turn out to be bred or what is going on with them exactly. Thanks for the advice!

I think it happens quite a bit and there have been a number of threads about it. I had a cow preg checked last year because she was constantly getting hunched by bulls, steers, cows. Was told she was open - she calved an 80 lb heifer 2 weeks later. Your heifer is probably bred & has raging hormones.

midTN_Brangusman":17n1jvl8 said:
I pulled blood on the heifers last week and sent samples to BioPryn for pregnancy testing. Had a 94% pregnancy rate so I am very pleased. About three days after I pulled blood I noticed the bull was chasing the 105C2 heifer for about two days so I assumed she was open. Got the results today says the heifer is bred. Has anyone had this happen before and if so did they turn out to be bred or what is going on with them exactly. Thanks for the advice!
When I ran registered I blood checked found it to be more accurate than palpation bet I still have a hundred or more vacuum tubes left in the medicine cabinet

midTN_Brangusman":3f0h60cv said:

Typically mine are spot on. This year I did have one come back as "safe" but clearly was in heat two cycles later and calved to that breeding - a calf which subsequently arrived 14 days early and dead but calved none the less. The test are not perfect and if the cow does breed and aborts and re-breeds the proteins they measure don't clear the system between breedings so there are the outliers. Two points

1. chasing is breeding - if she stands she's probably open
2. any idea when she was due to come into heat? if it's a three week interval from the last time you saw her in heat, she's probably open

angus9259":ncsxubf7 said:
midTN_Brangusman":ncsxubf7 said:

Typically mine are spot on. This year I did have one come back as "safe" but clearly was in heat two cycles later and calved to that breeding - a calf which subsequently arrived 14 days early and dead but calved none the less. The test are not perfect and if the cow does breed and aborts and re-breeds the proteins they measure don't clear the system between breedings so there are the outliers. Two points

1. chasing is breeding - if she stands she's probably open
2. any idea when she was due to come into heat? if it's a three week interval from the last time you saw her in heat, she's probably open

This was the first time I have noticed her coming in heat until about the first of June. She very well could have aborted the calf and just came back in or have a hormonal issue who knows. I did not see the heifer in standing heat but she wasn't far from it for sure.

Is the larger the OD number the further they are along in pregnancy? On the results sheet it states pregnancy at OD > 0.21. I have several in the 0.9 range and a few in the 0.7 range, or does that not really have anything to do with it.

Caustic Burno":2qv6lq1w said:
midTN_Brangusman":2qv6lq1w said:
When I ran registered I blood checked found it to be more accurate than palpation bet I still have a hundred or more vacuum tubes left in the medicine cabinet

CB do you recall any showing heat that tested bred?

midTN_Brangusman":2jwin0n1 said:
Caustic Burno":2jwin0n1 said:
midTN_Brangusman":2jwin0n1 said:

CB do you recall any showing heat that tested bred?
Seen some heifers with the bull in hot pursuit time to time never seen
him mount. Now I wasn't watching 24 hours a day either so I checked off to hormones. They all calved within the twelve month window that showed positive.