Question for Mechanics

Help Support CattleToday:

My old 1997 Ford 7.3 Powerstroke is in the shop because it had an exhaust leak. Recommendation was to replace the exhaust manifolds and replace the turbo up pipes. Here is the write up on what happened:

On the driver side removed the removed remaining bolts and removed manifold. Found a broken bolt in the cylinder head all the way on the rear. On the passenger side removed all but 2 manifold bolts and tried to loosen ebp tube. Ebp tube is seized. Recommend new ebp tube. Tried welding nuts to the broken fastner multiple times and different types of extractors and drill bits with no luck. Tried to drill it out for helacoil and the head stress cracked.

Engine / Top End / When attempting to extract manifold bolt cylinder head started leaking coolant. Need new cylinder head for complete repair.

Basically there was a broken bolt on the rear of the driver side manifold and when they tried to extract the bolt they cracked the head. Should the shop eat replacement of the cylinder head or is that just one of those things that happens - bad luck for me - and I now have a 2x bill for this repair versus the original manifold and up pipe replacement?
rebuilt heads are available for around $800 go on line and do a search. A lot of times a new head increases compression and puts a strain on the lower end and if rings are weak then you will have a lot of blow by. Ae you at a reputable shop.

Diesels is all they work on. Have a light truck shop and a heavy truck shop. Explained that the exhaust leak likely made turbo not boost as well as it should, which caused computer to dump more fuel which raised exhaust gas temps and lead to up pipe damage, and may have stressed the head or head had a micro crack lead to exhaust leak, etc. Anyway we said to heck with it and are getting it repaired. Found a 2012 diesel in near pristine shape for too much money but what isn't right now. Have cows and hay to haul so away we go. Just money.

Latest posts