Question for anyone on the boards

Help Support CattleToday:

Australian Cattleman

Reaction score
Tenterfield,New England Region NSW,Australia
Why is it that many homes in the US out in the flat country have little or no trees around them as windbreaks? Is there a reason for this?
I've seen many photographs of homes sitting out in the vast flat country with hardly a tree near them. In our cool country almost every residence has a grove of trees as a windbreak.
Colin :?:

In really flat country typically the winds keep the trees leaned over so much that they don;t grow straight or don;t grow at all
It's almost a catch 22 that you need a windbreak to get a windbreak to grow

dun

Often wondered that too! When we bought our new place in 2002 it only had about 3 trees on it. Since then we have planted about 14 more trees...got larger ones in 10 to 25 gal container size. Doing a lot of watering with our dry, windy, sandy soil here.

My guess on why "other" people don't plant trees is that:

• 1. They don't want to spend the money.
    2. They don't want to bother with caring for them.
    3. Without trees, they can see tornados and bad weather coming.
    4. They are not "plant savvy".
    5. They just "haven't gotten around to planting trees".
    6. They don't like trees.
    7. They don't understand the benefit of trees.
    8. They figure it is too much work to get and plant a tree.
    9. Some of the Above.
    10. All of the above.

:D

Alot of places where there are no trees could be because the ground/conditions won't support them. Hard pack and rock with bad mineralization, wind...etc.

Also have to remember the rule of trees in a storm they will always fall where the most damage will occur. If it can't hit the house it will hit the barn if it misses the barn it will get the truck and if all else fails with 360 degrees in a circle it will fall across the fence.
Now lets see through the years I have had a tree on the house,barn,shop,truck,car,and fences one reason not to have trees.

Some people like to "crop" right up to the porch.
Be it wheat,beans,corn, or hay.
Wasn't ditch to ditch farming partly responsible for the "Dust bowl days"?
In western OK all the trees point to the north.

In my area we don't get enough rain to "start" a tree. You can plant all you like, but unless you really pamper those things or they're next to a river, they die.

Further south in our region,a lot of trees have been affected by a condition called "dieback". Application of large amounts of superphosphate over many years experts believe have contributed to this problem. Millions of trees have been planted in those areas. Native eucalypts have been the tree of choice with sometimes a mix of melaleucas and acacias.
I have planted hundreds of trees on our place within about 500 metres of our house which is in an area notorious for strong west south westerly winds. It has made a big difference to what I can grow in the house yard. Plants are now surviving winters when once a slight frost would kill them but now our lawn is quite green during winter. We only use natural fertilizers on our property.
Thanks for the replies so far.
Colin :D

Colin,
we have trees all over the place here, in georgia. but timber is one of the top "crops" in the state too. we have planted pines on our farm as well as natural hardwoods. BUT my mom has a Eucalyptus tree in her yard! no koalas yet tho...

No trees around especially newer houses is because somebody bought farm land to put a McMansion on....

Here in Australia,especially in the coastal subtropical areas to our east land is being bought up by companies planting acres and acres (or hectares and hectares) of previously beef cattle grazing land for hardwood plantations of varying types of eucalypts. The old timers that cleared the land would be horrified. Most of the country is truthfully only good for trees anyway.

Might make a nice little windbreak for cold breezes, but sure makes a nice little projectile in 125MPH winds. At least for those of us subject to NASCAR wind speeds.

Australian Cattleman":20zxojyd said:
Here in Australia,especially in the coastal subtropical areas to our east land is being bought up by companies planting acres and acres (or hectares and hectares) of previously beef cattle grazing land for hardwood plantations of varying types of eucalypts. The old timers that cleared the land would be horrified. Most of the country is truthfully only good for trees anyway.

I didnt know there were varying types of eucalyptus. how big do they get, do they prefer sun or shade, and what all do they make with the wood. moms is 30-40 feet high and maybe about the size of a dinner plate around.

There are about 700 different species of eucalypts.
Heres a few, river red gum (these are very common along the Murray River),Tasmanian Blue Gum, snow gum,grey gum,mountain ash,willow leaf peppermint (these grow well in our area),salmon gum,coral gum,white gum,etc etc
The grow quite quickly and can attain heights up to 100 feet.
They are not good trees to have near a house as they can loose limbs in storms etc. They are good trees for yards etc.
Colin

Colin, about the only homes here in Wyoming that don't have trees are brand new ones built in a treeless area or those that are in town. My folks have trees on all sides except the east, and I have a row of trees north and east of my house. Not all of the folk's trees are full-grown as some were planted in 2001 and 2002, but those are anywhere from waist high to shoulder high.

Trees in the southern states can be dangerous because those states generally have much higher rainfall and the root system is a lot more shallow - therefore more prone to uprooting - than Wyoming (can't speak for any other states as I don't know about their rainfall). An additional factor is those folks that just don't like trees, or don't know what trees can do for heating and cooling bills. Just my thoughts.

Latest posts