Question for all you Texan's

Help Support CattleToday:

TANGLES123

Reaction score
We are moving to San Antonio sometime this year (hubby getting transfered). We are going to buy some land in country and I will be looking for a horse at that time. I am really partial to palominos, and paints. My question is this--- since the sun is so intense down there is that a problem for lighter skinned horses? Up here in Illinois it is not, however I was told once that Hereford were not raised much down there because of the baldy faces and cancer/sunburn issues. This could all be caca but I wanted to run it buy all of you for your opinions.

Also, we have small hay bales here of mixed grasses in our area selling for 1.75 a bale. How much can I expect to pay for a 75 pound bale there, and is it hard to come by? I understand that you guys have had a drought.

And lastly when it gets closer I will be needing a good, sound, pretty palomino or paint so keep me in mind:)))

I know what you mean by Illinois not having a lot of intense sun! I lived in Jacksonville, IL., for about 5.5 years!

On HAY issue! Any hay you can transport to Texas will be mucho dollars ahead! Extreme shortage here. Small square bales (alfalfa or grass) have been running $6.50 to $10.00 or so a bale for 50 to 75# bales. What hay is available in feed stores is the highest. IF you can find some from a local hay producer, then probably in the $5.00 to $7.50 price range. I'm talking about #1 Horse Quality Hay. In our area, from a local producer, we paid $5. for small square bale for #1 Bermudagrass in 2006. The Central and Southern Texas hay producers MAY have lower priced hay...but a crap shoot on finding some.

From my "Native Texan" heritage and living in Texas most of my life, I don't see any problem with intense sun (not nearly as intense as in higher elevations of USA); and, livestock does well here. Once a horse has "acclimated" (few weeks) to Texas weather, they don't need blankets in the Northern 1/3 of State. If horse lives outside with a run-in (loafing shed) shed then they develop a nice winter coat. Our TWH's will only choose to go in their shed when a "cold" and/or a damp cold wind is blowing. Otherwise, they will stay outside when it's raining, blowing, etc., as they prefer.

We are "trying" to focus on and breed Palomino, buckskin, and related TWH's. Have 2 mares now that may have one of those foals in spring, 2007. Recently acquired a "palomino" (according to registration certificate) stallion. However, we suspect he may be a "silver based" stud. We're waiting on DNA testing for color from a Lab in Kentucky... will keep y'all posted on the results!

On a sidebar, unless one has a horse in a VERY cold climate, it is usually healthier for it to have free access to outdoors in pasture vs. confined in a stall (with only daily or infrequent turnout and associated respiratory problem possibilities, boredom behaviors, lack of natural exercise, etc.)

If you get on blackland dirt light or white horses do Ok. I'm in sand and we get a lot of fungal infections and what they call the sand worm or burn.
The hay for sale now is high, $10 for a square bale, $100 or so for a round bale. Lots of what's being sold is CRAP! If I were you I'd bring all the hay I could with me!
MillIronQH, Zack, has some excellent ponies. You ought to go look'm over. After you see the ponies, go eat B-B-Q.

P.S. Land is cheaper West or Southwest of San Antonio.
Let us know what you're looking for and about where.

Hay is high. I saw some small coastla bales selling for 7.50. The horse will be OK. I asked a vet one time and he told me not to worry.

While I see mostly mixed breed cows there are a number of Herefords around and the Dairy in Floresville used to have a whole bunch'a black'n white Jerseys. In fact I don't recall anyone ever talking about white marked cattle having problems around here.
I'm in a wooded area, my ponies are out all year. Except for my Grey I never had a skin problem with a pony. One of my neighbor's TB had the worm on his white leg but he had been in a corral without shade in the summer. A mistake white markings or not.
What I'm taking a long time to say is, don't loose sleep over it, especially if you get a place with some shade. My ponies parkout in the shade whenever it's hot.

Thanks for all the reply's! I can't wait to get there. Hope you all are ready to answer tons of questions when I get ready to pack:))) Just kidding!

What ever they were, they were black and white and milk cows, a subject I'm not much up on. But as I remember everone said they were Jersey cows?

Here you go:

A Jersey

jersey-web-1.jpg

and a Holstein

holstein-web-1.jpg

Jerseys are like the cows that Blue Bell Ice Cream uses in their advertising.

Latest posts