Question about simmentals

Help Support CattleToday:

TripleB

Reaction score
Just wondering what the general temperment of this breed is like? Are they known to be gentle like Jerseys or hot like the brahma, or just plain ornery like angus and holstiens?

I don't think they are considered one of the more docile breeds but it depends on the animal more than the breed. I think the "newer" (black)Simmitals are better for disposition than the older (RWF) Simmitals. Any we had were RWF and none stayed around here to see their 3rd birthday.

Now after bashing them we are going to reintroduce a Black Simmital into our breeding program as a terminal cross on some commercial cows.

From my experience, Simmnetals are better than Angus not as good as Shorthorn or Hereford in disposition.

We've had simmi's in some form or another since the late 80's. As a whole they have been very quiet. There's always the odd nutjob but no more so than any other breed. We've got a 3yo simmi bull now that's rather large, I was on the trailer with him and a few cows seperating them a couple months ago with the center gate. Never felt the least bit nervous, nowhere near that comfortable if there's an angus bull involved.

cfpinz

I run simmi bull ,great like a 1600 lbs puppy, 14 months call him any where, rub him anywhere like a cat. grandson to blackjoker bought from my brother best money ever spent cody , will be here for quite a awhile.

The Simmentals I've been around were not the best in dispostion.They ran as soon as we got in the pasture.The purebred females fell apart after about 3 or 4 calves.
Now the good things I did like about them is when we cross bred them they made the best calves and even the purebred ones raised some of the best calves on the place.As a matter fact we still have a few of the females in the herd.
I thought the bulls would throw big calves at birth and kill both cow and calf, but we never had to pull not even one calf.
As far as what bloodline we used, not sure.All I know is the guy across the road had Simmentals, my uncle liked the look of the calves and purchased a bull.

TEXAST - how long ago was your experience with the flighty simmentals? I have been raising them for over 35 years, and we may get 1 that's bad dispo - but we dispose of them as feeders. As fullbloods imported in, they were the best dispositioned cattle, but I think a lot of the upgrading made some pretty high headed cattle for a while.
Have you actually been around the modern "American" Simmentals?
Of course, any "herd" is what you make of them.

My dad ruined me on Sims and I have chosen to raise Angus. I love the look of Sims and they were easy handling. Unfortunately, we had a bull that almost every calf had to be pulled. The only cow that didn't, had triplets. I'm not going to say my dad was the brightest. He kept the bull for three years. He threw nice calves. I spent many a late night with my arm up the rear of a cow. I'm not saying that is what to expect out of the Sims.

We have a small herd of 35 simmentals and sim-angus cattle ... very easy handling, great disposition, we work them with just myself and my wife. Highly recommend them for disposition. As for the calving problems, we've had none ... unassisted .... I know folks had problems in times past, but any view of Simmental with calving problems today is not a current view of good genetic Simms. Here's my little proof ... (I know I posted her before but she's such a beut!) 72 lb BW.
DSC_0173.jpg

Thanks guys so basicly the temperment of the cattle reflects the temperment of the owner/handler. But every once in a while you can get a knothead. :D

TripleB":3qqzjiwh said:
Thanks guys so basicly the temperment of the cattle reflects the temperment of the owner/handler. But every once in a while you can get a knothead. :D
So true. I can stand in the midst of my Angus cows and rub on almost all of them. Even the wildest will stand right next to me and eat cubes out of my hand. It all depends on how they were raised. My son bought a nutcase sim- angus heifer but I'm positive that it had something to do with the guy that raised her.

:lol: Best thing to do with Simmentals is trade them in on some Shorthorns :lol: Nieghbor has couple hundred Simmentals and has had a nice herd with few problems. Like all breeds it depends on how you handle them. Good luck.

Jeanne-Simme My dealings with Simmentals was about maybe 8 years ago.We did sell the ones that were hard to handle. It's my uncles herd now and he kept some of the crosses and maybe 2 purebreds.The ones he kept aren't nearly as flighty as the ones he had years ago.The bull we had was great. He wasn't puppy dog gentle, but very easy to handle.
Let me state also alot may have to do with the management of the herd they came from. I was out there with them almost everyday,if not me then my uncle, but they never calmed down.
Now we kept some of the heifers and they were alot calmer.

I've been breeding Simmentals for 18 years, and they are great as far as temperment. I started with the old type spotted cows, and we always appreciated them for being relatively laid back, easy to pen and handle, and easy to halter break. As with all breeds, some bloodlines will be more tempermental, but most of breeds are really culling hard for temperment now.

If you are considering them, check out some local breeders, and make sure you buy cattle that are docile. You'll be much happier!

Actually, I'm looking at a brahma/simmental cross bull. Hoping he might add some size,color, and attitude to my small herd. I do have a yearling coming two year old bull, he's not puppy dog gentle but I can work him and so can the guy who is boarding him for me but he just don't like my dad. :D

Latest posts