question about scours

Help Support CattleToday:

rjbovine

Reaction score
had three calfs with scours monday evening . give shot of nufor med to each calf. also a dose of dectomax for parasites . And tried to get electlites down them. oldest calf is 5 weeks old . tonight calf dosen't ack well . no runny stools more like pudding but still yellow my biggest concern while examining his stool found dark goo mixed with yellow. could this be maybe worms ? just asking for some ideas . will be taking huim to the vet in the morning. other two up running full bore. thanks.

Doesn't sound like worms. Pudding consistency is a good thing, make sure to electrolyte, scours doesn't kill the calf, dehydration will. Shoulda used a shot of Excede. Instead of regular electrolytes I use Diaque, works like a champ, but a bit $$$.

Most scours are viral so antibiotics will not work for the scours. What they do is help prevent a secondary infection from setting in which is common with scours.
Ask your vet about sulfa based drugs instead of nuflor. Calf Span boluses, along with trivetrin injectable or borgal injectable. As well, an anti inflam
As for electrolytes, if this calf dehydrated YES use them. Most times they will not suck it back with a bottle so you need to tube them. Get your vet to teach you how to do it! If your calf is not going to make it get the vet to use the calf as the teaching tool. Then practice until you get it right.

Finally, as per our vet, scours is a management thing...90% of the time. And with working with our herd, she is bang on.
Clean bedding
Timely colostrum
Enough space for the animals, not crowding as scours is spreadable.

thread which will help
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40953&hilit=scours

I know Jeanne-Simme Valley and Milk Maid and Randilanna have post alot on prevention and also treating...I tried to search but so many topics...go for it. A wealth of information

rockridgecattle":p8kkbqch said:
Most scours are viral so antibiotics will not work for the scours. What they do is help prevent a secondary infection from setting in which is common with scours.
Ask your vet about sulfa based drugs instead of nuflor. Calf Span boluses, along with trivetrin injectable or borgal injectable. As well, an anti inflam
As for electrolytes, if this calf dehydrated YES use them. Most times they will not suck it back with a bottle so you need to tube them. Get your vet to teach you how to do it! If your calf is not going to make it get the vet to use the calf as the teaching tool. Then practice until you get it right.

Finally, as per our vet, scours is a management thing...90% of the time. And with working with our herd, she is bang on.
Clean bedding
Timely colostrum
Enough space for the animals, not crowding as scours is spreadable.

thread which will help
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40953&hilit=scours

I know Jeanne-Simme Valley and Milk Maid and Randilanna have post alot on prevention and also treating...I tried to search but so many topics...go for it. A wealth of information
As it was explained to me, the reason for giving antibiotics for scours is to prevent anything from setting up in the guts and helping to flush the evil stuff out. All I know is that it works about 99% of the time.

Latest posts