question about cotton gin trash

Help Support CattleToday:

3Dbuckingbulls

Reaction score
I have a guy that trying to gave me a bunch of cotton gin trash to feed my cattle. I really don't want to start feeding it and it kills my cattle. So I was wounding if anyone has feeder it before and what the pros and cons to feeding it.

Thanks

3Dbuckingbulls":1rmefju7 said:
I have a guy that trying to gave me a bunch of cotton gin trash to feed my cattle. I really don't want to start feeding it and it kills my cattle. So I was wounding if anyone has feeder it before and what the pros and cons to feeding it.

Thanks

If it kills your cattle don't feed it OR find another supplier. People down here have been feeding it for years especially during drought years with no adverse affects. It's actually become a rather expensive commodity due to demand.

As TB said it has its place, drought, lack of feed and so on
If it straight from the gin and hasn't been ground, then lumpy jaw is a problem
I wouldn't feed it again unless I was desperate

Have fed lots of gin trash over the years with no problems. Have wintered cows on it supplemented with cubes. If priced right can be a very economical feed. IMO-if a ton of gin trash delivered to ur place costs less than 1/2 the cost of a good round bale of grass hay, you can feed a cow cgt + cubes cheaper than hay alone. It's usually better feed than many folks give it credit for.

cross_7":3qn46dlb said:
Also depends on whether its picker cotton or stripper cotton
The burr is the problem

Not as much difference in stripper vs picker now as all fairly late model strippers have burr extractors. Havent seen a nonextractor stripper running in years. Can understand both burrs and stems injuring the the inside of the mouth with the potential for infection but I have yet to experience it.

Texas PaPaw":3sl2kunv said:
cross_7":3sl2kunv said:
Also depends on whether its picker cotton or stripper cotton
The burr is the problem

Not as much difference in stripper vs picker now as all fairly late model strippers have burr extractors. Havent seen a nonextractor stripper running in years. Can understand both burrs and stems injuring the the inside of the mouth with the potential for infection but I have yet to experience it.

I went with a mineral that had more iodine and that helped but still had problems
I hear if its ground up its not near the trouble

I use cotton gin trash that is ground and it is a life saver to me. Never had a problem with hurting their mouths and the ground type doesn't have any burs or at least I haven't seen them. I love it so far. It is not a fix all. Your cows will loose condition if only fed gin trash and mineral but as a major part of a mix with cotton seed, soybean meal or cracked corn you can't beat it. If you are close to a cotton gin chances are you can stockpile fescue and I have given my cows a mix in the winter with stockpile fescue that is very reasonable (if you are buying plenty of gin trash ask them to cut you a deal on the whole cotton seeds, you will be surprised what they will do to save trucking that stuff everywhere) and my cows looked as good as they have looked in the spring or fall. The major drawback is it is a pain in the but to handle. A container that would hold 4 tons of soybean pellets may hold 1 1/2 ton of gin trash it is really bulky. They also do take a while to become accustom to it or any mix that has it as a major ingrediant. But once they do it is not a problem they eat it right up.

P.S. If you are mixing it with whole cotton seeds don't feed it to your bulls find another feed or mix it with soybean meal or corn for the bulls.

The gin or the seller should have the gin trash tested. If not you can take a sample and have it tested very cheaply and you may be like I was surprised about the feed value it has. But it does vary allot. I was told that the number of underdeveloped seeds in the trash can make a big difference in the feed value.

u4411clb":1hofltpz said:
The gin or the seller should have the gin trash tested. If not you can take a sample and have it tested very cheaply and you may be like I was surprised about the feed value it has. But it does vary allot. I was told that the number of underdeveloped seeds in the trash can make a big difference in the feed value.
Absolutely. Amazing amount of whole seed left in it. Typical analysis is around 8% protein. Sprinkle a little bit of cottonseed meal over the top of it to entice them to eat it. Once the become accustomed to it consumption won't be a problem. Most all of it is ground now unless you purchase it straight from a local gin. One place use to be out in Sweetwater, Tx. that actually pelletized it. Feed it like hay and supplement it like hay. Cows will come thru winter looking pretty darn good. I haven't priced any in a few years but seems the last I priced was around $100 a ton delivered.....dang they use to burn the stuff. :nod:

Whole cotton seeds can make a bull temporarily sterile. I was asked by pm and wanted to let others know so I am not responsible for open cows. But if you take it away the bull will return to normal.

u4411clb":lr937kht said:
Whole cotton seeds can make a bull temporarily sterile. I was asked by pm and wanted to let others know so I am not responsible for open cows. But if you take it away the bull will return to normal.
WCS will do that but only if feed heavily (4-6 lbs. per head per day) as in dairy operations. Thirty pounds of gin trash won't have a quarter pound of seed in it.

Angus Cowman":uh29b3mh said:
I will sell you all you want for $600 pr semi load picked up here at the farm

Dang AC you need to call a broker and sell the stuff. Good demand in some areas.

Latest posts