Question about castrating calves

Help Support CattleToday:

LJCC

Reaction score
So I bought some larger Holstien steers that weighed about 750lbs average. Well in the group of them they through in a couple bulls. About four weeks ago I tried castrating them with a burdizzo clamp for the first time. After clamping them I could tell that the testicles moved freely and were no longer connected. It's been about four weeks and I have yet to see any reduction in the testicle size. How do you know if it is a successful castration when using this method?

Thanks for your time.

I used those clamps on a 400lb Holstein once and its nuts were big enough they got this thick hard scab over them. I got it in the headgate and noticed the scab was cold. The nuts were rotting off basically, and stunk to high heaven. That was the last time I used the clamps, we cut everything now.

There are clamps of different size if I recall correctly. You have to make sure the ones you are using are adequate.

To test if the Burdizzo clamp is effective, I was told to:
1) Fold a piece of paper in two.
2) Take a narrow elastic band and slip it in the fold (the elastic should be between the sheets of paper)
3) Clamp the paper and elastic with the Burdizzo.
4) Unfold the paper, if the elastic is broken, the clamp is effective.

The few times I have used the Burdizzo, I clamp twice per side. However, Iif you want my two cents, I tend not to use this instrument as I have the impression the bulls don't appreciate it no matter what drugs they are given.....

If the testicules are cold, the technique worked (the blood supply and nerves have been cut off and the testicules are dying). If the testicules are swollen, inflammed, painful, etc you should call your vet to have a look. The vet may have to remove them surgically.

It is always a good idea to vaccinate against blackleg (Clostridium chauvii), 0.50$ can go a long way to prevent headaches...

Good luck

Burdizzo has been my prinicipal castration method for over 40 years - but... the calves I use it on are nothing like a 750-pounder; we try to castrate before they're a month old. Have had no issues - ever- other than maybe 2 calves over that time period that I 'missed' one nut on.

That said, I loaned my large Burdizzos to a friend a month or so back; some of his calves were 3 months of age or more. I've done 'em that big before with no problems, but he had some that the scrotum & testicles initially swelled, and then rotted off. All I could say was... 'operator error', when he asked me about 'em.

Thanks for the information everyone. I'm kind of thinking that they were just to big to use this method on. I know the tool was good, in fact it was brand new. What is your suggestions when in comes to castrating larger calves? Just cut'em and be done with it?

They were plenty cheap, and that's the only reason I bought them. No one else in the barn seemed to interested in doing any work to them.

There are three techniques that I am aware of for castrations; all have advantages and disadvantages. You should choose the technique with which you are willing to accept the disadvantages.

Sorry, if that's a politician's answer and doesn't really answer your question. It all comes down to personal choice, amount of money you are willing to spend etc. Only you can answer those questions...

Latest posts