Pyrenees

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve":1hq37mh8 said:
Waterway65":1hq37mh8 said:
They like to range over lots of acres and will drift off smaller places onto neighboring places.

Would a 160 acre pasture work or do they need more space?
I was raised on 160 acres. Our male had puppies over 5 miles away and would still show up for work everyday.

RanchMan90":33bs2823 said:
Stocker Steve":33bs2823 said:
Waterway65":33bs2823 said:
They like to range over lots of acres and will drift off smaller places onto neighboring places.

Would a 160 acre pasture work or do they need more space?
I was raised on 160 acres. Our male had puppies over 5 miles away and would still show up for work everyday.

One of mine was like that. Had him neutered because he too was a womanizer and was never at home.....then he disappeared for 3 days....figured he was off cancelling all those dates he had with the ladies. Came back and never left again. :lol:

I had three of those dogs when I had sheep. They could get onto the barn if they wanted but never did. They would dig a hole in the ground and lay in it. As long as you feed him good he will be fine.

It also don't matter how big the place is it's more about what is "home". My buddy has two GPX on @40 acres. Their trippy dogs for sure. Bert and Ernie grew up w the goat herd and know their job. I've known em since they were pups but all ways respect them.

They make great family dogs loyal why not just adopt him-I had one for years BOSS papers said Big Ole Super Slimer one of the best dogs I ever owned

One of the few dogs I actually liked was a Pyrenees that came with our farm, he was ancient for a Pyrenees at about 13 when we got him. He lived for about 10 more months and patrolled the farm every night all night long barking the whole time (not an annoying bark). I think there are 2 breeds, a working dog like ours with a shorter flatter nose and wider head, and the show type that is longer, as far as I've been told. Eats A LOT, very independent but also very friendly.
1471302_554294984641467_749458398_n.jpg

Kell mine would do that. Cover the entire perimeter of the place letting out a low "woof" about ever ten seconds it seemed and then stopping and taking a leak to make her territory about every 50 feet. I never knew they could run so fast until I watched her chase down a coyote, run over it, whirl around and bite it though the spine and then trot back to the house. We always sheared ours real short in the summer and they are built just like greyhounds.

I use to have a pryenees, he never left home-great family dog, and great friend-why not just adopt him? can't go wrong there-