Pyrenees

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43

Reaction score
A Pyrenees Dog has taken up residence on my entrance road a 1/2 mile from my house, he made himself a bed in the tall grass , each day he walks the property and passes by our houses, we were hopeful he would leave but after a week he seems to have adopted us, my family having concern for his welfare has stared to feed him at his bed. Now our concern is the weather which has turned cold and rainy, constant rain for 36 hours totaling 5 inches. The breed was bred to be a guardian dog and live with livestock , are such dogs provided shelter when used as livestock guardians or are they adapted to live as the animals they guard live in the raw weather? :cboy:

We live in a County South of Austin that has a lot of irresponsible people moving in, and a lot of dogs are being dumped. I am sure he was dumped where he has bedded down waiting on his master to come for him. He shows no aggression but we have not been able to catch him. Animal control would take him to the shelter and he would be killed in a short time. Anyone familiar with the breed knows they are an independent breed, If we can get him home he will be taken care of.

cowboy43":j5ja4jym said:
A Pyrenees Dog has taken up residence on my entrance road a 1/2 mile from my house, he made himself a bed in the tall grass , each day he walks the property and passes by our houses, we were hopeful he would leave but after a week he seems to have adopted us, my family having concern for his welfare has stared to feed him at his bed. Now our concern is the weather which has turned cold and rainy, constant rain for 36 hours totaling 5 inches. The breed was bred to be a guardian dog and live with livestock , are such dogs provided shelter when used as livestock guardians or are they adapted to live as the animals they guard live in the raw weather? :cboy:
I don't know anything about GP breed, but whatever ya do, don't ask about how to keep him warm. You'll be accused of having been emasculated.
:lol:

Kudus and good luck for thinking about taking him in.
I hate folks that dump dogs.

cowboy43":1dpy6xec said:
We live in a County South of Austin that has a lot of irresponsible people moving in, and a lot of dogs are being dumped. I am sure he was dumped where he has bedded down waiting on his master to come for him. He shows no aggression but we have not been able to catch him. Animal control would take him to the shelter and he would be killed in a short time. Anyone familiar with the breed knows they are an independent breed, If we can get him home he will be taken care of.
They are a good dog. If you can feed him progressively closer to where you might house him and he'll adopt you.

I hate people that dump animals. We see it a lot.

greybeard":10zsu0av said:
I don't know anything about GP breed, but whatever ya do, don't ask about how to keep him warm. You'll be accused of having been emasculated.
Sure hope you took it with a pinch of salt. Some men are men and don't have to go around proving themselves ;-)

Good on you Cowboy43, hope all turns out well.

greybeard":j52hmipk said:
cowboy43":j52hmipk said:

So how much was that electric blanket and how many did your wife tell you to buy? :hide:

With ours we simple leave the hay barn door open a couple of feet, he found shelter soon enough. Good for you for taking him in.

They're pretty tough as nails. Feed him where he's at if you wanna keep him in the pasture, if you feed him close to home he'll be a pet.

At this time he has no shelter , he is bedded down in tall grass during cold and 5 inch rain, that is the reason I asked when they live with livestock , do they have shelter or do they live as the animals do.

cowboy43":3pw2q4ck said:
At this time he has no shelter , he is bedded down in tall grass during cold and 5 inch rain, that is the reason I asked when they live with livestock , do they have shelter or do they live as the animals do.
They live like an animal, that's what they were bred for. A little dry grass for bedding and a windbreak and he'll be content. Butcher scraps are good to feed them or he'll eat 50 lbs of dog food a month.

A friend runs one for every 100 head of ewes on dakota range land. They stay with the sheep and keep coyotes away. They take feed out to them but they are not family pets. They like to range over lots of acres and will drift off smaller places onto neighboring places. Most likely this dog is owned by someone within a few miles of you. They are not your everyday farm dog and they will fairly well cut sheep loses where they are employed. Mel

Like has already been said, they are prone to roam. I had them a few years back with sheep, worked good as long as they stayed in the pasture, One time they went probably 10 miles up the road, were gone for a couple days, and then somebody stopped and told me that they saw them back on our property at another gate entrance. After not being able to contain them, I found a new home for them. I did keep a pup from their last litter, he would take off briefly if he got the chance, but would always come back within a few minutes. He was not trusting of strangers, but as gentle as could be around me.

I've always thought of Pyrenees as a northern dog or at least never thought of Texas as a good home for them.
But then again all I know about guarding sheep came from watching Wylie Coyote and Ralph the sheep dog and
in real life neither probably punch in and out on time clocks. :)

cowboy43":7vbszy5l said:
Bought a high dollar dog house for mine. Turned into a Cathouse.........and the dog likes to sleep belly up in the sleet and rain. You can soak one all day and he won't get that inner liner of fine hair wet.

Used to be a big Cathouse in LaGrange know as a Chicken House. Only locals know what I am talking about. :hide:

We have one, she's pretty much just a pet. She will wander the property a little but she's pretty laid back and friendly.

A friend of a friend has several thousand sheep up in the mountains in Utah. They turn 50 to 75 Great Pyrenees out with them every year. They said they lose around ten a year to various predators. A lot of them won't come off the mountain in the winter when the sheep are hauled back home. They said most of them just find their own food in the winter and are waiting for them when the sheep show up.

They raise the pups themselves and send the ones that are friendly and will make pets to the people that buy lambs from them for free.

cowboy43":25mstfaz said:
Used to be a big Cathouse in LaGrange know as a Chicken House. Only locals know what I am talking about. :hide:
Well being a fightin' Texas Aggie while it was open and having been there for 7 years I know exactly where it was . :lol: :lol: :oops: