Putting your visitor to work!

Help Support CattleToday:

Fire Sweep Ranch

Reaction score
I have to laugh, and just had to share. Inyeti is out here in MO, looking at and (hopefully) buying a bred heifer from us (she has a nice Dream On embryo in her). Anyway, the weather had taken a bad turn today (lots of ice and snow) so he got out here to the farm early so he would not be out on the roads stuck in it. We have a January heifer that came into heat last night, and needed to be AI'd this morning. I offered Ron to do it, and he agreed. What I later shared with him was we AI' her 23 days ago, and she was a pain in the rear. She dances in the chute, throws herself forward and back, and pitches her tail everywhere. Sometimes, virgin heifers are tough!
So, this heifer gave Ron a run for his money! :lol2: She pitched back and forth, and danced side to side. I held her tail for him so he would not get hit in the face, but each time he would get right where he needed she would pitch and the dislodge the pipette. I ended up tying her head around the side of the chute to keep her from going forward and back, but she still danced around! Ron was pretty sure he hit the sweet spot, but it sure took him a long time! :nod:
I am sure when he came out here he was not thinking he would have to help with chores! But it was fun watching him put so much effort in making sure he was doing a good job.

We had a goofy heifer that as soon as you touched her cervix with the pipette she would lay or sit down. Bent lots of guns trying to ger bred. Finally turned her in with the bull and sold her as a bred cow. Life is tooooo short for that crap.

TennesseeTuxedo":35ejd4oi said:
Try to get some pics Fire Sweep.
Yes! Would love to see some pics of Ron workin?
When you are done with him, please send him down here. I have a bunch of cows to AI!

I threaded her cervix three times. She would jump forward, the tip would come back out of the cervix. Cervix was not bad just a typical heifer cervix.

Meanwhile back at the ranch, I have 18 inches of snow on the ground. Thank the Good Lord for the guy taking care of my cows. :clap:

Ron take good care of that guy becomes he might think twice before he agrees to take care of them again with us keep getting these artic blast snow storms.

Hey Ron, get back out here so I can get a hardy breakfast in you and get you to pound some t-posts into the frozen ground for us!!! Geesh, he must be sleeping in at his hotel!!!

FlyingLSimmentals":8r5sgme8 said:
Ron take good care of that guy becomes he might think twice before he agrees to take care of them again with us keep getting these artic blast snow storms.

Mike,
I do. He got a well deserved tip. I got to the farm yesterday to find a mess but My Guy did a great job. Only complaint: he did not remove the twine from the hay rolls he put out. He said he never takes it off. Other than that, he exceeded my expectations. He enlisted a friend of ours to help him. I don't think there are many people who go as far as he did to take care of someone else's cattle under these circumstances.

BTW: My first spring calf waited on daddy before he came - born about noon yesterday while I was on the phone with Kris - actually gave her the details as the calf was born in front of me. A bull calf born on day 278, weighed 80 pounds (happy to see a moderate weight, calves here all push the 100 lb mark). Sire Limestone Rimrock, Simangus Select Sires.
1z70jdg.jpg

Latest posts