Put down my first cow, don't use a 9MM

Help Support CattleToday:

I've heard more people having problems putting down cattle with large calibers than .22LR's

I've taken down lots of 2 year old bears with mine as well using Stingers

There is a difference when putting them down and butchering them. When butchering use as small a caliber as possible to stun them and get them on the ground to bleed them out.

What's the difference between the two, you want them out like a light. When i'm putting a cow down I still bleed her out to be safe.

When using a handgun at close range it is very easy to get the angle wrong even if you are firing at the X point between eyes and ears. Try and have the angle of the shot following down the direction of the spine and you won't have any troubles.
Most failed shots just end up in the frontal sinus, yes having a bit of a look inside the skull would have taught a valuable lesson.
Ken

crimsoncrazy":2afjwzet said:
Nesikep":2afjwzet said:
What's the difference between the two, you want them out like a light. When i'm putting a cow down I still bleed her out to be safe.

They bleed better if their heart is still pumping.

Agreed, so where is the difference when you're putting them down or butchering, you want them to drop like a rock either way. There's nothing worse than a cow getting back up, which is the reason I bleed them anyhow.

Correct bullet placement and trajectory are tantamount to success. I've dropped a bunch, in their tracks, with .22LR.

Recently heard Dr. R.M.Miller - some of you may be familiar with his veterinary and cowboy cartoons - recount a tale of a bucking bull that escaped his pen and was hit on the highway, breaking its back. CSP officer had blasted away 4 or 5 shots with his .357, from 35 or 40 feet away, and all the bull had was a little trickle of blood from one nostril. Dr.Miller arrived on the scene, offered to do the deed, and the officer handed over his firearm. Dr. Miller walked up to the bull, drew the 'X' between left eye/right ear, right eye/left ear, placed the muzzle of the pistol at almost point blank range and with one shot dispatched the bull. As he handed the pistol back to the trooper, he asked, "Did you see what I did?". The trooper nodded, and said, "You're Catholic, right?"

All I've ever used is a .22 LR. Only once did I need to shoot again. Its never a pleasant affair to have to euthanize, even when it is the best and kindest thing to do.

Put down dozens with a single shot .22. Placement is key and one shot is a sense of accomplishment.

you probably hit her low on the head , old saying "proper bullet placement puts them down, I haved killed hundreds of sows and hogs , and if you hit them low , IT WILL NOT Kill them, proper brain shot , they drop in thier tracks,

Latest posts