Pushing a feeder hard

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I'm just wondering if you can push a feeder calf harder and reduce the risk of acidosis and bloat by splitting a feeding up into 2 a day? This heifer I want to try to finish in 30 days for my sister so she can bring it back with her when she's here for Christmas. The heifer has good cover on her but not finished. Can I start her at closer to 2% of her weight if I split it up to start?

hooknline":37ivv1i6 said:
I'm just wondering if you can push a feeder calf harder and reduce the risk of acidosis and bloat by splitting a feeding up into 2 a day? This heifer I want to try to finish in 30 days for my sister so she can bring it back with her when she's here for Christmas. The heifer has good cover on her but not finished. Can I start her at closer to 2% of her weight if I split it up to start?
Split it into 4 feedings would be even better. Give her about 6 oz. of baking soda mixed into the ration along with some cottonseed hulls or hay.

No cotton seed hulls around here. She's got free choice hay, penned up. Is that 6 oz of bicarbonate per feeding or daily? Bicarbonate I can get lots of cheap from my pool supplier. How fast and hard can I push her as % of body weight?
Thanks tb.

hooknline":3bog81sv said:
No cotton seed hulls around here. She's got free choice hay, penned up. Is that 6 oz of bicarbonate per feeding or daily? Bicarbonate I can get lots of cheap from my pool supplier. How fast and hard can I push her as % of body weight?
Thanks tb.

Hay will work. Just needs some roughage to keep the rumen working and prevent acidosis. Start slow and increase a bit everyday until she's actually leaving a bit.

Don't bring her up to quickly, she can founder. Our rule of thumb was bumping up a few pounds every 3 days, until they are leaving just a few bites behind. She should eat 3% of her weight.

yep thats how we throw feed..enough that they will leave just a little after the first trip..cuz theyll come back later and get the rest

I would have to get a whole bunch super cheap to make the run worth it. And I'm still concerned about what the ph of the pellets is and the affect it would have on rumen function. I'm sure they would adapt and I know there's plenty of energy in them. I just havent been convinced yet

largest source of feed in the uk.....its a staple....exported over 6 million tons to the uk alone

bwahhaa...cant get it any cheaper man...11 cents a lb is giving it away....i barley cover my own at that with freight

search it....its on the internet ya know

Latest posts