Purina 30% Tub

Help Support CattleToday:

I feed WCS mixed with some corn all winter and they keep the weight on them. Very high in protein and fat. I buy directly from the gin and it's in my opinion the cheapest and best feed for the dollar.

Those tubs always seemed like a darned expensive way to supplement protein...DDG is currently $148/T here, 27% protein...that'd be about the same cost as 3 of those 30% tubs. A ton of feed would do a lot more than 150 pounds of tub...but it wouldn't be as EASY.
Keeping 'em out all year 'round? Our cows didn't need protein supplementation during the grazing season...only when we were winter feeding hay and needed to compensate lactating fall calvers because the hay we were able to purchase would not meet their nutritional needs...I'd hate to think what it would have cost to feed enough tubs to actually supply what those cows needed...not sure they could even have eaten enough to meet their needs if I could have afforded to put 'em out.
Any of you 'tub feeders' do any sort of nutritional analysis or ration balancing? Do your cows actually need protein supplementation? Energy supplementation? Are they able to get what they need, when they need it, from tubs? IDK...I'm just asking...I already know the tubs are bigtime $$ losers compared to DDG, WCS, CGF, Soyhull pellets, or most any other bulk/commodity feed...but, yeah, those aren't EASY...

Latest posts