mineral...Nutrena, Purina? TexasBred?

Help Support CattleToday:

kjonesel":1q7qk7zz said:
They do. That is why the consumption will decrease. The actual usage will decrease because a higher percentage is available to the animal.

Only if they use the ingredients that are bioavailable. (Chelates). But....some minerals are also formulated for a recommended consumption rate of 2 oz. per head per day. Regardless of how much of an element is in the mineral if it all passes through the cow it's worthless.

So I got a tag off the TSC Purina and the P, Ca, and K are all the same and several other minerals. Biggest difference was about half the vitamins A,D, E, copper, and zinc were about half or so of the other Purina mix from local feed store. in my mind if its out free choice year round then that shouldn't be an issue right?

fnfarms1":1ylg1i98 said:
So I got a tag off the TSC Purina and the P, Ca, and K are all the same and several other minerals. Biggest difference was about half the vitamins A,D, E, copper, and zinc were about half or so of the other Purina mix from local feed store. in my mind if its out free choice year round then that shouldn't be an issue right?
Probably not IF they eat it.

GRTiger85":vr3d5fd8 said:
I use the concept Aid, stuff works as advertised. Brought my 1st service Ai rates up about 10%.
Seems to be the consensus of most folks who have switched to it.

I know this is rare and could happen with any mineral company. But the one bag of purina mineral I bought ever. I pour it out it a piece of metal off a conveyer chain about the size of your fist, and 3 7/16x3'' bolts and one nut was in it. Just can't bring myself to buy anymore. I use a semi local company here now Burkmanns . Another think is some areas need certain things that others don't. Here selinim is important.

littletom":1st7v87j said:
I know this is rare and could happen with any mineral company. But the one bag of purina mineral I bought ever. I pour it out it a piece of metal off a conveyer chain about the size of your fist, and 3 7/16x3'' bolts and one nut was in it. Just can't bring myself to buy anymore. I use a semi local company here now Burkmanns . Another think is some areas need certain things that others don't. Here selinim is important.
Not good but surprised it doesn't happen more often when you see how much a batch of feed or mineral is moved around loose before bagging. Most have magnets in various places to try to eliminate these things from happening. I poured out a bag of cubes one day and had a white plastic cube in the pile....showed it to the feed store owner, he called the mill and found out an elevator bucket had broken off and went through the mixing process and when it hit hte pellet mill it simply pushed it right on through the die just like it did the real feed ingredients. Also found a very dehydrated dead rat in a bag of feed many years ago.

Latest posts