Generic Trace Mineral Blocks

Help Support CattleToday:

Those are just salt. I feed mineral in old lick tubs so I put a trace mineral block in first and pour the mineral in on top. Keeps the cows from tipping it over.

If you let the cows run out of mineral you can put a trace block first and let the cows satisfy the salt craving and then put real mineral out the next day. Not ideal but that's what I do.

By definition it's a salt block with only a trace of mineral.
Because of the high salt content, block consumption is very low and the trace of minerals received becomes barely
a trace. As for 'any value' about 50 cents max per 50 lb block vs white salt.
Bottom line: mineral value added is so little it's considered negligible and disregarded when formulating rations.

Given a choice cattle will go after salt first,,the minerals "though they need them". don't satisfy their taste . I Personally don't give the choice..

Most 'good' mineral programs for cows recommend 4-5 oz per head per day = 100 lbs or 2 bags per year.
IF you want to be cheap, salt year round and loose mineral for 6 months, 60 days before calving to 120 days after.

Amazes me how many people won't think twice about paying $50 for a winter's supply of junky a%% worthless hay then choke over $25-30 bags of mineral that might be exactly what they need to make a successful cattle operation.

TexasBred":npkl4m1z said:
Amazes me how many people won't think twice about paying $50 for a winter's supply of junky a%% worthless hay then choke over $25-30 bags of mineral that might be exactly what they need to make a successful cattle operation.
All of this time the difference in my operation is $30 bags of mineral I never would have thunk it.

And have never bout hay in my life and make more off hay than cows. But thanks for the advice.

ALACOWMAN":2xh128o5 said:
u4411clb":2xh128o5 said:
What is a good mineral program that won't break the bank and is enough for results
. Does Your pastures have broom sedge in it? I know north Ala soils are low in copper, selenium
Yeah some pastures get sedge every so often. Usually lower bottom land seems to more than the rest. What you suggest?

u4411clb":2y3j3p92 said:
ALACOWMAN":2y3j3p92 said:
u4411clb":2y3j3p92 said:
What is a good mineral program that won't break the bank and is enough for results
. Does Your pastures have broom sedge in it? I know north Ala soils are low in copper, selenium
Yeah some pastures get sedge every so often. Usually lower bottom land seems to more than the rest. What you suggest?
go to the Madison co. Co.op,they own our co Co.op to.. Ask them about the Scottsboro mineral..not kidding...its a special blend for our area...a old Aurburn man had them make it up......

u4411clb":3t6wt96e said:
TexasBred":3t6wt96e said:
All of this time the difference in my operation is $30 bags of mineral I never would have thunk it.

And have never bout hay in my life and make more off hay than cows. But thanks for the advice.
I didn't give you any advice. You obviously already know it all.

TSC sells a mineral called Wind & Rain that may be worth looking at but, like Ala Cowman said, Coop surely has what you need.

One thing I've noticed is that you can't predict mineral consumption. Just check it every other day and have another bag or 2 ready.

Mine will wear the minerals out,,after rains...the drier the forage the less they consume.,,during the summer months... I've went through the minerals this year..which is good..the clover has been growing all year...ordinarily I'd backed off the high mag. Already..

Son of Butch":1673rcf1 said:
Because of the high salt content, block consumption is very low and the trace of minerals received becomes barely
Bottom line: mineral value added is so little it's considered negligible and disregarded when formulating rations.

There is a difference between "a trace of mineral" and "trace minerals" Trace mineral by definition includes : copper (Cu), zinc (Zn), manganese (Mn), and selenium (Se) and are usually required only in amounts measured in parts per million.
Loose mineral generally contain trace minerals but the bulk of it will contain such things as calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and sulfur. And salt.

Silver":3114c6t8 said:
Son of Butch":3114c6t8 said:

There is a difference between "a trace of mineral" and "trace minerals" Trace mineral by definition includes : copper (Cu), zinc (Zn), manganese (Mn), and selenium (Se) and are usually required only in amounts measured in parts per million.
Loose mineral generally contain trace minerals but the bulk of it will contain such things as calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and sulfur. And salt.
Let's just use the word "minerals" for simplicity. All should be in a good mineral at a beneficial level, all should be balanced to reduce one being antagonistic to the action of another, all should be in a form that can be easily utilized by the cattle. All listed above are trace minerals. Some micro, some macro but all minerals. For all practical purposes a trace mineral salt block is a salt block. It just happens to have about a half a day's supply of trace mineral in the entire block and most of that is red iron oxide to give it color and make you feel good about your purchase.

Latest posts