Purina 30% Tub

Help Support CattleToday:

Pointer1160

Reaction score
I buy 380lb heifers in the late winter and sell in the late fall. I want to put as much weight on them as possible. Have good pasture and feed 18% Purina pellets at .5% of body weight. Would adding the 30% block help at all or could it be a replacement of the Stocker/Grower?

Pointer1160 said:
I buy 380lb heifers in the late winter and sell in the late fall. I want to put as much weight on them as possible. Have good pasture and feed 18% Purina pellets at .5% of body weight. Would adding the 30% block help at all or could it be a replacement of the Stocker/Grower?

I don't think the cost of the tubs justifies any "potential" additional weight gains. I would not use them. Good grass, mineral, and your current rations will do the trick.

I keep 30% protein tubs out all year. The cows are all over them in the winter months, barely touch them in the summer but the calves love them. And no, the cost probably doesn't justify it but I also feed cubes all year. Limited in the summer but again, the calves love them and I'd just as soon get them "bunk broke" and running to me prior to weaning.

TCRanch said:
I keep 30% protein tubs out all year. The cows are all over them in the winter months, barely touch them in the summer but the calves love them. And no, the cost probably doesn't justify it but I also feed cubes all year. Limited in the summer but again, the calves love them and I'd just as soon get them "bunk broke" and running to me prior to weaning.

You're a good momma.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
TCRanch said:

You're a good momma.
Thank you! :heart:

We use Purina 30-13 tubs most of the year. I'm set up to feed QLF, but it just turned into a hassle. My feed dealer will deliver the tubs. The QLF I have to go pick up.
The cows only eat them when they need it,and it seems to add "bloom" to them .

SBMF 2015 said:
We use Purina 30-13 tubs most of the year. I'm set up to feed QLF, but it just turned into a hassle. My feed dealer will deliver the tubs. The QLF I have to go pick up.
The cows only eat them when they need it,and it seems to add "bloom" to them .

Exactly! Same reason I always have a bale of prairie hay out. They're all over the lush, green grass but sometimes they need a little roughage.

Lots of ways to supplement grass. If you're feeding them every day why spend on tubs.
WCS is the cheapest way to supplement grass.
Cubes are good but not cheap these days.
Liquid feed ranks above tubes and at current prices cubes and you don't have to feed .
If you're where you can't get iquid delivered or your rotating pastures, and you don't get in to feed regular tubs are the tool for the job .

I put out a Purina Mineral Tub it has more minerals and 5% percent protein. Cattle shouldn't need protein right now. I did that so I wouldn't have to buy a mineral feeder and they would always have access to minerals. It was $110 for 225 lb tub. That comes out to 24.44 per 50 lbs. So about $4 more than a sack of Purina minerals around here

WCS is probably only economical in the south. I've been using corn, soyhull pellets, and DDG up here in Missouri. I don't think you'll make money buying purina pellets. Last I checked, the purina pellets were 280 per ton around here

If you are already feeding 18% protein pellets the tubs would just be unnecessary protein that will come out the back end and hit the ground. It will add nitrogen to the ground but there are much cheaper ways to fertilize.

Latest posts