Purebred or Fullblood Cattle in the US/Canada

Help Support CattleToday:

Australian Cattleman":31d0b2ho said:
Truthfully who can tell me what breeds I could safely purchase that are unadulterated with another breed? I know most Chianinas and Maine Anjou aren't true to type ( I emphasise most) Don't include composites or derived breeds Simbrahs,Charbrays,Murray Grey etc. :?:

Presumably Hereford or Angus (red or black) they are supposed to be purebred. Don't know much else, most of the european breeds were "bred up" although there are probably some that weren't around too. Shorthorn has Maine, but again there are probably some purebreds in there too....

What is a breed?

by Roy Wallace and Harlan Ritchie

Jul 1, 2006 12:00 PM

What is a breed? Is there really such a thing as a purebred?

Let's begin by defining what a breed is. The late Hilton Briggs, the quintessential authority on breeds and author of the book, "Modern Breeds of Livestock," defined a breed as: "a group of animals that, as a result of breeding and selection, have certain distinguishable characteristics."

Briggs goes on to define a purebred animal as "an individual both of whose parents are duly registered in a Registry Association."

It's interesting to note that Briggs says nothing about "breed purity" or "percentage of blood" in either definition. If one delves back into livestock history, it can be concluded that very few populations of so-called "purebred" cattle existed. Rather, nearly all breeds were developed by combining various strains of cattle within a region into a generally agreed-upon type.

British breeds

The Shorthorn breed was created by selecting the best of the native, short-horned cattle in northeast England and infusing them with a small amount of Galloway blood. The Hereford breed was developed by infusing the native cattle of Herfordshire in southwest England with Flemish cattle imported from the low countries in Europe.

Shorthorn blood is reported to have been introduced into the Angus breed at an early stage of its existence. And the Red Poll breed originated in the English countries of Norfolk and Suffolk where some Galloway and Devon breeding eventually found its way into the breed.

As near as can be determined, two British breeds appear to have remained free of outside blood — Galloway and West (Scotch) Highland.

Galloway originated in southwest Scotland's Galloway province. When the Romans first populated England, cattle roamed the region's forests. These indigenous cattle became the progenitors of the Galloway. Today, Galloway are recognized as the oldest breed of beef cattle in the British Isles.

The West (Scotch) Highland originated in the rough, mountainous region of western Scotland. It's known these cattle were bred for centuries in the West Highland region. Consequently, it is nearly as old as the Galloway breed.

Continental breeds

Meanwhile, the first Charolais cattle in the U.S. didn't come directly from its mother country of France, but via Mexico in the 1930s. These cattle were then crossed with other breeds in the U.S. The same is true of the first Charolais to be imported from France through Canada in 1966.

The Charolais breed as it exists today in the U.S. is largely the result of a grading-up process. Charolais bulls of French descent were used on British cows, primarily Angus, Hereford and Shorthorn.

In the late 1960s and early '70s, a wave of bulls from other Continental breeds were brought into Canada and used in the grading-up process on British breeds of cows. The new breeds included Simmental, Limousin, Maine-Anjou, Salers, Chianina, Piedmontese, Belgian Blue, Romagnola, Marchigiana, Tarentaise and Normande.

After 4-5 generations of upgrading, these new breed associations registered the animals as purebreds. Obviously, there would still be a small amount of genetic material remaining from the base British cows.

Some final notes

A final note regarding the purity of the Continental breeds is in order. By the end of World War II, Europe was in total chaos, and cattle ran loose in many regions. As a result, a significant amount of interbreeding occurred.

It's also important to note that during a period of type change in the late 1960s and early '70s from overly small, fat cattle to growthier, leaner types, there was some unethical infusion of Holstein and Brown Swiss blood into the Angus breed, as well as Simmental blood into the Hereford breed. In some instances, such cattle were detected via blood-typing and removed from the herd book. In other instances, they weren't.

During the 1970s, the American Shorthorn Association established an appendix program in which it opened its herd book to Milking Shorthorn, Irish Shorthorn, Australian Illawara Shorthorn and Maine-Anjou blood. This served to enhance the performance and carcass composition of the breed.

Finally, we come full circle and return to the initial question, "Is there really such a thing as a purebred? The likely answer is, It all depends upon how you define "purebred."

Harlan Ritchie is a Michigan State University distinguished professor of animal science. Roy Wallace is Select Sires' vice president of beef programs. Both were named among honorees selected for the "BEEF Top 40" published in September 2004.

Purebred and Fullblood are two different things, at least in the USA. In some breeds' an animal can be 7/8 of that breed and still be called a purebred, but has to be 100% to be called a fullblood. Braunieh distinguishes between the two, and probably some other breeds as well.

I could be wrong, but I believe Angus and Hereford are the only two major breeds that don't allow animals with any KNOWN outside blood to be registered.

One thing for sure, unless it's Angus or Welsh Black, it ain't 100% pure if it's black. Can anybody think of any others that were originally black?

VanC":3f637cct said:
Purebred and Fullblood are two different things, at least in the USA. In some breeds' an animal can be 7/8 of that breed and still be called a purebred, but has to be 100% to be called a fullblood. Braunieh distinguishes between the two, and probably some other breeds as well.

I could be wrong, but I believe Angus and Hereford are the only two major breeds that don't allow animals with any KNOWN outside blood to be registered.

One thing for sure, unless it's Angus or Welsh Black, it ain't 100% pure if it's black. Can anybody think of any others that were originally black?

Corriente, the oldest breed of cattle in the U.S. are mostly black. The had a very big influence on the U.S. cattle industry even before the Herfs were brought in.

http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/catt ... /index.htm

there are fullblood salers as well as purebred (bred up) in the U.S. Also they do actually come in both the more common reds as well as black salers in their fullblood form.

All you Angus and Hereford folk go ahead and keep fooling your selves by thinking that your breeds are "pure".

Australian Cattleman":34zrwgs8 said:
Truthfully who can tell me what breeds I could safely purchase that are unadulterated with another breed? I know most Chianinas and Maine Anjou aren't true to type ( I emphasise most) Don't include composites or derived breeds Simbrahs,Charbrays,Murray Grey etc. :?:

Why worry about it? Buy good cattle. If they are good cattle, they are phenotypically superior to most of the "grade" cattle in your area, AND their association will give you a paper on them, then whether or not other blood was used 30 or 120 years ago in an attempt to improve the breed should be irrelevant.

What happened centuries ago is largely irrelevant. Certainty of genetic connection is only as far as F2 (second generation). Any farther back than that there may be a genetic connection, or there may not. Beyond 5-8 generations it is extremely unlikely that there will be any genetic influence regardless of what names are on the registration papers.

BAGTIC":3n5skwil said:
What happened centuries ago is largely irrelevant. Certainty of genetic connection is only as far as F2 (second generation). Any farther back than that there may be a genetic connection, or there may not. Beyond 5-8 generations it is extremely unlikely that there will be any genetic influence regardless of what names are on the registration papers.

If I understand his point right, he would rather not invest in a breed with an "open" herd book that still allows grading up. The Simmental example has been talked about a lot in the last couple of days. Imagine the ride of someone who had a herd of moderate framed black cows in the 70s who used large framed red/white and yellow/white Simmental bulls, even culling out the small black heifers, to eventually get a "purebred" registered herd of red/white and yellow/white Simmentals only to see his breed turn in many places into moderate framed black cows. I can certainly understand why someone would be a little hesitant about investing a lot of money into a breed where anybody who buys semen can turn ANY set of cows into a registered calf crop.

Here in Australia you can still grade up in all breeds as far as I know except Angus and Hereford. a 7/8 animal is definately not a purebred. A fullblood is an animal that has all parents that come from the breeds country of origin without any graded up cattle in the pedigree.4 crosses equates to a purebred. I very seldom start with a base animal thats less than 3/4 before I start grading up and paying fees. I believe New Zealand you must have 5 crosses to be called pure.Most cattle that have 7/8 percentage look much like pures. Some breeds more so than others. Theres not much difference between a 7/8 Brahman and a pure Brahman. maybe a slight difference in a characteristic (hump or ears maybe) A 7/8 SD looks like a pure.
Colin

Latest posts