Purchasing Starter Herd

Help Support CattleToday:

texast

Reaction score
Hello ok here goes I got the fences and catch pen together, got plenty of grass. Now it's time to get the cattle.
I have a 6 month old Brahman bull calf that I want, but I was told to start with some females first.
Like purchase 3 in 1's or bred cows or if I'm going to start with calves get some heifers. I understand the turn around on the money would be quicker than with a bull, but this bull has great bloodlines with him such as Sting Ray and few others register of renowed ( which I have yet to understand all of that) but I really like him am I making a wise decision on this purchase?

This time of year, tyupically 3&1s are pretty much gone unless they are late calving cows. Any cow that calved in the spring will probably have the calf pulled off and be sold seperatly. Late calvers are a problem unto themselves. If the cows are bred, you'll be feeding the bull for a long while before you'll need his services.
That all said, buying any cow or bull is a crapshoot. Wether it's a good investment depends on too many variables and a lot of them we have no control over.
If you buy him or not and you decide it was a mistake tyhat's just the price of an education. If it isn;t a mistake, you're ahead of the game.

When I started stocking a few places I found deals on "exposed" heifers. I paid a slight bit more than "open" but nothing near "bred" prices.

On one place I bought a bull a month before the cows because it was a good deal. That may be the situation you are in now.

A little more than 3/4 of the exposed heifers calved before I saw my first calf from my bull so it worked out pretty good.

Like dun said alot of stuff is learn as you go, go with your gut, kind of stuff when it comes to buying.

Don't make hasty decisions... but when you see what looks to be a good deal you have to be ready to move.

Thanks for the replies. I want to go register Brahmans at some point and at price this bull is for I thought by buying him now would be a good investment for the long haul. I have a chance to get a registered x-show cow.
At this point this is a hobby but as time goes on I want to become a breeder of seed stock and I figured starting from the foundation with quality stock would be a good start. I really wanted to get into the Gir cattle but I was told at the ABBA they aren't sellling well unless I cross them to get F!'s. I have very little land and can only hold about 4 head at this time so I gotta really make some wise decisions.

texast":2u1lhilc said:
At this point this is a hobby but as time goes on I want to become a breeder of seed stock and I figured starting from the foundation with quality stock would be a good start. I really wanted to get into the Gir cattle but I was told at the ABBA they aren't sellling well unless I cross them to get F!'s.

Since you are looking at it as a hobby, how well they sell probably wouldn;t be that great of a concern. Start with some good quality pure Gyr cows. You will find a lot more enjoyment in looking out in the pasture with the cattle you really like. You can gradually thin out the Gyr, I persoanlly wouldn;t, and phase in others. But with me that's a persoanl preference. If I had humped cattle, they would be Gyr.

Dun I hear you on that. Gri cattle is like one of my favorites if not the favorite. I also know a guy that will work with me on purchasing from him. I was thinking on getting that bull calf and buying one of his Gri cows anyway so I very well may stick to that plan.
Those Gri cattle are really smart and gentle. I love the fact that you never really can guess the color of the calf until it is born.The guy I may buy from has an ad on here under the classified.

The only problem with getting a 6 month old bull, and a Brahman, is that he won't be ready to breed your cows until he's 16-18 months old. If you buy bred cows, it won't be a problem, but something to keep in mind.

If you want to get into registered Brahmans, grays will sell better than reds. But I agree with Dun.. get what pleases you!

The Gyrs are great cows, and generally gentle dispositions. But they will be harder to sell. And you're really going to have a tough time if you only have four or five head.

I would be cautious of starting out with heifers. Sometimes the whole story about what they"re "bred to" gets distorted a little. I can't remember seeing any for sale that wern't supposedly bred to a LBW angus bull if you know what I mean.

I would start with bred 4-5 year olds that would give you spring calves. They've been there and done that and with heifers it can be a crapshoot as far as calving goes.

Try to buy from honest individuals and stay clear of the salebarns.

You have received good advice from the others, so I'll only add that you should buy the best stock that you can afford.

It doesn't cost any more to feed good cows......

Thanks for the good advice all. I'm really thinking strongly on getting a couple of bred cows and just raise that bull calf.
Again thanks for the advice.

texast":g99lh2hi said:
Thanks for the good advice all. I'm really thinking strongly on getting a couple of bred cows and just raise that bull calf.
Again thanks for the advice.

I think your first decision should be "When do you want your calves born" And start off with cows all calving at that time. It will make the whole deal run smother.

Your climate will support fall and late fall calving. If you do find the 3 in 1's you seek, I wouldn't be concerned about the timeliness. Fall calvers tend to run less at auctions, which makes them lucrative for me. It also renders you selling a steer crop at an optimum time.

There is lots of good advice in this thread. Can't offer you anything on seed stock since I don't do that and I am not familiar with it first hand. All I know is what I hear. Everything I hear pretty much goes along with what I read in this forum.

Latest posts