Punch testing for pregnancy.

Help Support CattleToday:

Sir Loin

Reaction score
Punch testing for pregnancy.

IMO punch testing is as accurate, to determine pregnancy, as palpitation.

What is your opinion and/or views on punch testing.

SL

If you mean bumping then yes it works but only later in pregnancy. Doesn;t give you the length of time she's been bred like palpation does.

Re:
If you mean bumping
Well, "bumping" a new one on me, so I did some reading.
http://familycow.proboards.com/index.cg ... read=26032

And found "bumping" is similar, but not the same as "punching".
As I read it, bumping only detects movement, where as punching not only detects movement but also size, density , strength and location much the same as palpitation.

Re:
Doesn't give you the length of time she's been bred like palpation does.
As with anything the key is experience . I have seen some experienced punchers hit it as close as vets do by palpitation.

SL

Sir Loin":2swoah8z said:
Doesn't give you the length of time she's been bred like palpation does.
As with anything the key is experience . I have seen some experienced punchers hit it as close as vets do by palpitation.

SL

Whoooaaaa.....You can bump/punch a cow or know someone else who can and find a calf that is an inch long?? :bs:

I know to bump a calf, at least for me I need her to be 6-7 months along. I aint never heard of punching. What's the difference?

Isomade":2nkqobsr said:
I know to bump a calf, at least for me I need her to be 6-7 months along. I aint never heard of punching. What's the difference?
You put your shoulder into it

hooknline":1r3vu1w1 said:
Isomade":1r3vu1w1 said:
Can't see that being Detected any sooner than bumping.

Isomade":3uytci0o said:
hooknline":3uytci0o said:
Isomade":3uytci0o said:
Can't see that being Detected any sooner than bumping.

:bang:

When I was a kid I knew a lady who could tell you what sex a calf was going to be by looking at the pregnant cow's vulva. She was right about 50% of the time.

Red Bull Breeder":21k9ifl6 said:
Now boys you cats ain't nearly as knowing as Sir loin..
I'd like know how it works. The cow kicks you once for every month bred? Up to 6 months bred then the cow and the calf kick you once for every month. If the cow is full term, she kicks you once and lays down to have the calf?
I need details darn it

whitecow":2ujub7xj said:
When I was a kid I knew a lady who could tell you what sex a calf was going to be by looking at the pregnant cow's vulva. She was right about 50% of the time.
:lol: 50% huh? :lol:

Isomade

Re:
The main difference is that you use a fist vs. an open hand ( the heel ) so you can put constant pressure at different depths and locations. You could use the heel of your hand IF your fingers would bend backward far enough to stay out of the way. Mine don't as most men's don't. Hence: It's called punching.

You do not actually punch the cow, you put your fist on the cow and push. Some times to over come the cows resistance you must do it sharply when she is on an exhale.
This is no more uncomfortable for the cow or calf then when she lays/flops down.

To answer the question: Is she breed?
You hold your fist in after a sharp push and try to detect movement.
You may have to do this several times in different locations.
You should be able to cause movement from about 4 months out.
Under 4 months, even with palpitation, it's a SWAG by most vets and AIers, and palpitation may very well cause her to abort if she were breed.

As for how far along she is, that will take some experience to acquire.
The three main things you look for to determine age is:
Force of the movement you feel
Location of the calf
the distance you need to push in to locate the calf and sponginess of the calf along with the placenta
SL

PS I knew a guy, he's passed on now, that used a weight tape to tell you if they were breed and how far his cows were from calving.

Just in case you boys think I am BSen you, read this.

Brockett v. Abbe
Connecticut
206 A.2d 447 (Conn.Cir.A.D. 1964)

This action was brought by plaintiff-veterinarian against defendant-farmer to recover for professional services rendered. The farmer then filed a counterclaim for damages for the erroneous determination by the veterinarian that certain cow was not pregnant (plaintiff veterinarian used a "punch test" - where a fist is struck against the abdomen of a cow to determine pregnancy rather than the industry-standard rectal examination).
Source: http://www.animallaw.info/cases/causct206a2d447.htm

Let me break it down for ya. The difference in punching vs bumping is about the same as if you brush your teeth with your left hand or your right. Well, maybe not that extreem.

Latest posts