Pulling calves off cows to bring into heat

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
For years, Universities have recommended pulling the calves off the cows for 48 hours (I believe) so the cow will come into heat.
So, I have a set breeding season. My calves would be ?? potentially a month old to 2 months old. Doesn't this screw up the calf??? not getting to milk for 48 hours, then gorge themselves when they get back with dam???
There is a post about a cow coming in heat twice in 1 week and he said he pulled the calves. That is what brought up this question. I always thought it was a dumb move, although it makes sense it would trigger their hormones big time.
Another question. If stripping the calf off triggers the cow to come into heat, is it a GOOD heat. Will she settle?

Jeanne,

The heats are viable and conception is not compromised. Pulling the calf kick starts the hormone production to begin follicular development.

I don't see any harm coming to the calf.

I am still in question to the health of the calf. Calves at that age only have been consuming mom's milk and some hay/grass. Depriving them of milk for 48 hours would screw up their gut. IMO

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1j60gtcn said:
I am still in question to the health of the calf. Calves at that age only have been consuming mom's milk and some hay/grass. Depriving them of milk for 48 hours would screw up their gut. IMO

I don't do it. I had one cow this winter that did not cycle with a calf on her. I used the 7 day CIDR protocol and she cycled.

Seems more common in europe. Im not really set up to try it. If there is water available - calves are usually trying it pretty early on though.

Yes, it is to group your cattle up for AI breeding (or could be used for natural if you have enough bull power).
I think you could think of it as a cheap way to synchronize.
I have never contemplated doing it. As I implied, I think it would be poor management for the calves.

Not my idea of the way to do it but maybe for some it would work. We try to have a 60 day window both spring and fall. The calves are 75% born within 30 days, so I don't get too excited about it. Since we sell in groups mostly, we will have 2 or 3 groups of similiarly sized calves to go at a time. And we held a bunch this year and will try shipping them bigger in Jan or Feb. to see if prices will come up a bit. Not sure if we will like this but want to try it.

Don't seem to have much problem getting most of the cows to come in heat in that 30-60 day window... We mostly will move them to a pasture that has good grass in the spring, they seem to get "flushed" with the green growth, and come in heat and breed..... the one fall place has stockpiled grass and they are coming in heat now, on it. No hay or anything except mineral because there is 6 months growth there to work on. If we get snow or anything we will feed hay but unless it is buried, they often will prefer to nose through for the cured grass.

In my opinion if you want to sync cattle use a cidr, ive seen that calf pulling tried, I wasn't impressed just made for alot of uncalled for noise.

bse":244mdxd5 said:
In my opinion if you want to sync cattle use a cidr, ive seen that calf pulling tried, I wasn't impressed just made for alot of uncalled for noise.

Good to know. It has been suggested but never tried it. Now I won't.

I've never liked the idea, I would have thought heat detection would be difficult with them all bellowing and concerned for their calf, or do they come in season after the calves are returned to them?

Ken

Jeanne - Simme Valley":iu2hxzwy said:

Not to mention what it may do to milk production or the possibility of mastitis.

When I cut and tag my calves I leave them in the pen for 24 hours or so. Several cows go into heat within a couple days of doing that. I leave them penned and let them out one at a time so I can match cow and calf tags. But I didn't see my cows more than once a week.

gcreekrch":1nyscsbj said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":1nyscsbj said:

Not to mention what it may do to milk production or the possibility of mastitis.
BINGO!!! May not be a major problem, but it is a potential problem, so why add to any stress?

The Ranching For Profit School pushes this management tool.

I guess after you cheat your herd every other way possible this might be the only way to make most of them cycle.

gcreekrch":sqbm7csw said:

I guess after you cheat your herd every other way possible this might be the only way to make most of them cycle.

If I understand your point, this is a major issue for me. Breedback is key determinate in genetic selection and the ability to breed back under the worst conditions. That said, I do sync my cows for AI so maybe that's cheating to....

angus9259":2n1f6vmg said:
gcreekrch":2n1f6vmg said:

If I understand your point, this is a major issue for me. Breedback is key determinate in genetic selection and the ability to breed back under the worst conditions. That said, I do sync my cows for AI so maybe that's cheating to....

I think that is more of a covenience tool.

We started making progress when we started giving our heifers a short 35 day breeding period and no second chances.

gcreekrch":11iqwlqe said:
angus9259":11iqwlqe said:
gcreekrch":11iqwlqe said:

We started making progress when we started giving our heifers a short 35 day breeding period and no second chances.
With a bull.
When I ran a bull for clean up. We would AI 42 days, then turn bull in for 24 days. That was more than enough time for him.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3ofblskw said:
gcreekrch":3ofblskw said:
angus9259":3ofblskw said:

With a bull.
When I ran a bull for clean up. We would AI 42 days, then turn bull in for 24 days. That was more than enough time for him.

Of course, they have more time than I do.

Latest posts