Pulling calves off cows to bring into heat

Help Support CattleToday:

I am just pointing out that using a bull for 35 days is a lot different than 100% AI for even 60 days. When people run a bull for a normal 60 day calving season, and they have open cows, then yes, fertility is a problem - either the bulls or the cows.
You have to have some really fertile cows to maintain a calf a year with 100% AI or embryos - even if you have a split spring & fall.

gcreekrch":3b8zl69r said:
The Ranching For Profit School pushes this management tool.

I guess after you cheat your herd every other way possible this might be the only way to make most of them cycle.
I read an article by them, :shock: they are a bit over the top with low input.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":dyvi2o0z said:
I am just pointing out that using a bull for 35 days is a lot different than 100% AI for even 60 days. When people run a bull for a normal 60 day calving season, and they have open cows, then yes, fertility is a problem - either the bulls or the cows.
You have to have some really fertile cows to maintain a calf a year with 100% AI or embryos - even if you have a split spring & fall.

The only individual I expect 100% from is me. Quite frankly, I haven't made the threshold yet either.

We can accept 10 to 20% open on the heifers and abou 6 to 8 on the cows depending on the year. We have a big area to range in so run 6 bulls per 100 on the cows and 4 bulls per100 in the heifer pasture.
I see no point in giving any shy breeder a second chance once you set up the goal posts

gcreekrch":35oa9luj said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":35oa9luj said:

The only individual I expect 100% from is me. Quite frankly, I haven't made the threshold yet either.

We can accept 10 to 20% open on the heifers and abou 6 to 8 on the cows depending on the year. We have a big area to range in so run 6 bulls per 100 on the cows and 4 bulls per100 in the heifer pasture.
I see no point in giving any shy breeder a second chance once you set up the goal posts

We try to run 4-5 bulls per hundred on heifers and cows alike, but may adjust that upwards a tad depending on how many yrlg bulls we are running. We expect a yearling bull to cover 20, mature bulls to cover 25. Other than that our expectations are about the same, although we expect the heifer to run about the same as the cows but we give them the same 60 day window as our cows.

Latest posts