Pulling a calf ?

Help Support CattleToday:

MULDOON

Reaction score
Where the Stars & Stripes ,, And the Eagle fli
How long should you wait , before stepping in to assist?
When the cow lets you get close? Is there a rule of thumb for a time period?
I had to help one this weekend , I didn't have to stick my hands in , Just kept watching the cow try 1.5 hours or more , when she looked like she was really getting tired, I grabbed the legs(front) and started pulling, as soon as the head cleared, the calf started coming pretty good , so I stepped back and let the cow take over.
Since I'm new at this, I'm not sure if I should of stepped in, I feel like I did the right thing.
Are there degrees of difficulty and how do you grade them? I assume that a C section would be the worse and what I had would be the least.
Any way everybody's thoughts will be appreciated,
Thanks , Bill

if it is a cow i will let them work for a long time if things look right,(both feet coming & nose) most of them don't need much help. on a heifer i will help anytime i see the feet out.

When everything is coming out right with no problems, from the time you can see the feet and the cow really starts pushing hard, the calf should be out on the ground in 10 to 30 minutes at the most. If not, there is some sort of problem, then I assist. Which I don't have to assist very often.

If you're able to pull the calf out by just grabbing it's front legs and pulling, I'm betting the cow would have had it without your intervention.
I agree with the previous posters-will usually not help unless they've been trying (pushing hard with little/no progress) for at least an hour.

I remember the key word from this discussion along time ago, and that is what I go by.....PROGRESS. If the cow/heifer seems to be making progress, I leave them alone. If she's been standing around pushing for 15 minutes with no results, I take her to the barn for help.

Anytime after the feet are coming out is usually an ok time to assist the cow. A cow will normally have it on her own if there are no problems, such as the calf coming out backwards. But it is ok to help the poor girl get it over with, just make sure she is dilated before pulling too hard. I normally like to stick my hand in to see if everything is situated right and the calf is going to come out right, being head and front feet first. The cow could have some problems calving on her own if the calf is coming out backwards. :)

This year we lost a nice heifer calf due to the fact that we didn't pull her. A fellow (supposed to know what he was doing) Rancher was here for hours the day the cow was trying to deliver.
For 15 hours we watched the signs of labor. He kept telling us that this was all normal and everything was fine. We saw no head or feet just a lot of contrations and slime.
When the calf was finally born she was dead.
We took her to the vet to find out why and how she died and he said that no more than 3 hours after the start of contractions we should always stick yer arm up there and find out what is going on. He said that it won't hurt mom or baby and it may even make her contraction harder causing labor.
He said that if everything is alright you will know and if not you can do something about it.
If the calf has to be pulled he said:
If it is in "normal" position pull slightly downward almost like the calf is diving. ( Adjust limbs and head to normal position if possible)
I it is comming out backwards pull strait out.
If anyone disagree's with this please share your views. We are all ears.

Double R Ranch":2qrd354u said:
This year we lost a nice heifer calf due to the fact that we didn't pull her. A fellow (supposed to know what he was doing) Rancher was here for hours the day the cow was trying to deliver.
For 15 hours we watched the signs of labor. He kept telling us that this was all normal and everything was fine. We saw no head or feet just a lot of contrations and slime.
When the calf was finally born she was dead.
We took her to the vet to find out why and how she died and he said that no more than 3 hours after the start of contractions we should always stick yer arm up there and find out what is going on. He said that it won't hurt mom or baby and it may even make her contraction harder causing labor.
He said that if everything is alright you will know and if not you can do something about it.
If the calf has to be pulled he said:
If it is in "normal" position pull slightly downward almost like the calf is diving. ( Adjust limbs and head to normal position if possible)
I it is comming out backwards pull strait out.
If anyone disagree's with this please share your views. We are all ears
[/list]

The quicker you can get the calf out the better off you ,cow,and calf will be.Like some of the others have said once forward progressed has stopped at that momment is the time to decide to pull or get the Vet.

Rule of thumb - when you see water sac - wait 1/2 hour for cows - wait 1 hour for heifers - no progress - intervene. Only pull hard when the cow is actually pushing. Keep pressure on and wait for contractions, than pull. If you work with the cow, less chance of damage to calf or cow.
Also, be sure to double hitch the chains on the calves legs - above the dew claws. You can pull the hooves off, plus if the chains stay tight for too long, they lose circulation to their feet.
Every case is different, and if you are interrupting them, everything takes longer. If cow/heifer sees you & gets up - figure she's going to quit for 10-15 minutes.

op, hope you don't mind if I add my questions onto your thread.....

If the cow is having a breech birth, do you all try to turn the calf yourself or is it better to call the vet....

Also, if a cow has a breech birth, is she more likely to have another calf born breech??

mogal, just hook the hind feet & pull it out. never seen one that wouldn't come out backwards. some cows actually deliver their own backwards. don't think it would make any difference on the next calf. if you want more answers you might want to post it under new title

Pretty big difference in one that's merely coming out backwards and with feet first -- versus a true breech that's butt end first and the rear legs are folded up underneath the calve's belly & brisket

Muldoon---excellent question!! thanks for asking for me ;-) i guess i just did not wanna seem TOTALLY ignorant in the ways of cattle!! the hubby figures that since i am a nurse and have had to assist with human births, then i should automatically understand cattle...many nights of night calving and then running inside the house just to tell him that the damned heifer did not seem to understand me when i said "okay now...breath and push with the next contraction" :roll:
anyway, alot of excellent advice given on this posting and will definitely use it to my advantage next year!!
thanks, all who wrote!!!
kris

jerry27150":1immnnr6 said:
mogal, just hook the hind feet & pull it out. never seen one that wouldn't come out backwards. some cows actually deliver their own backwards. don't think it would make any difference on the next calf. if you want more answers you might want to post it under new title

we usually make sure the tail is not bent over backwards as well.. when we pull..

good article dun. i always figer on waiting 1 hour on cows and 1 1/2 hours on heifers after the feet emerge. seems to work for us.
could anyone fill me in on what you do about retained placentas? i hear a lot of different ideas, clean don't clean just give em a shot, use a uterine bolus, wait till they get hollow eyed i swear you hear a lot of different ideas! just wanting some feedback...
and i was trying to remeber what kind of mineral deficency is most likely to cause a retained placenta but i'm having brain farts again...
i think it's calcium deficency?
bif

Latest posts