Pulled my first calf last night !

Help Support CattleToday:

DavisBeefmasters

Reaction score
Got home from work and our only spring calving cow was in labor... water bag out, off by herself, walking backwards, walking forwards, etc.

I first saw 2 hooves peek out at about 7:20 p.m. --> from reading a lot of these threads, I looked at my watch and mentally told myself okay, need to see progress in about an hour or I'm going to have to see what's going on.

8:20 p.m. - still just 2 hooves peeking out and sucking back in, but with a good push I can see that the walking surface of the hooves is towards the sky, not the ground... something which this board has made me alert to watch out for... ;-) THANKS TO ALL WHO POST!

8:30 p.m. - she lays down and is pushing which allows me to get up near her and check it out... walking surface of the hooves definitely pointed up towards the sky... after further investigation... no head... back legs and a tail!!!!! This is new to me as well. :eek:

8:35 p.m. - call the vet and tell him what we're up to, he says to give her another 45 minutes, but will likely have to pull the baby -- luckily in backwards but won't have to be flipped around.

9:15 p.m. - no progress, I call the vet again (since hubby is out of town and I'm on my own)... he says to get in there and pull it... pull straight back until I have hips then straight back and down... but warns me that once I have hips out that I have very limited time as the umbilical cord would be pinched off by the rib cage versus momma's pelvic bone

9:30 p.m. -- finally finishing locking the other cows away from me (some of them are solid black and a little irritable at me in the pasture with a flashlight) :shock:

9:35 p.m. -- momma lays down, begins to push, I help pull when she pushes and hold the calf from slipping back inside between pushes... and voila! Baby on the ground 5 minutes later... once the hips were out, baby and all were on the ground within seconds... momma got up within a few minutes and started cleaning it up... baby stood up and was attempting to nurse within about 20 minutes

A first for me! :D

Congrats...now you have a calf that will be special to you.
Another something to add to the o'l resume.
Please share pics if you can....Dmc

You
re now way ahead of a lot of folks. Many have never pulled a bakcward calf. Just think, any you have to pull front first will be a piece of cake now.

dun

Congratulations
4.gif
4.gif
4.gif
4.gif

I pulled my first one about 3 weeks ago - I know what you feel
that little one is fun to watch grow 8)

Way to stick with it~!!

Excellant job.

Post some photos and pass around some cigars.

dun":mhl8h7a3 said:
You
re now way ahead of a lot of folks. Many have never pulled a bakcward calf. Just think, any you have to pull front first will be a piece of cake now.

dun

Now don't set her up for a fall dunster!! :lol:

Many is the frontwards presentation that will make you cry !!

Great job DBM!! And you even kept yourself safe out there first!! :D

Your vet obviously has quite a bit of faith in you too. :lol:

Here is a picture of momma and baby as of this morning...

...once I'm out of here today I can give it's Bo-Se and TSV, weigh it, tag it, and figure out if it's a bull calf or heifer...

Thanks everyone for your congrats! (And AngusLimoX, I have lost a bull calf in my arms last year from a different cow... lived 12 hours outside of momma, the vet said it probably strangled on the way out... so I've been really watching this year...

P4140015.JPG

Congrats, I know from pulling a foward calf a few years ago it makes for a very long night. My wife would not let me hear the end of it if she went through what you did without me there!

Alan

My hubby has been around cattle since he was young... he convinced me to get into it as well... I enjoy it... I'm glad this effort was a success last night... I could imagine that I wouldn't hear the end of it if I just stood by and let something go wrong... although there's also an equally long story if the vet would have come out and given us a bill for helping instead of telling me last night that I could do it and that way I wouldn't have to pay a hefty bill for a night call.

I'm thankful for a good vet with common sense that works with us and advises us how to do things (and teaches us how) so that we don't have to pay him to come and do it.

A good Friday it is... our son is home and says the calf is up and running around testing it's legs (he believes it to be a bull calf).

Latest posts