publix

Help Support CattleToday:

grannysoo":th01pitt said:
HerefordSire":th01pitt said:
About a year ago or three, did anyone notice the number of chicken house farms for sale?[/i]

Still plenty for sale. For sale in 40 foot sections, you remove from the property.

Remember the egg price run-up about a year ago? I have a feeling a carton of eggs could be $5 before long.

HerefordSire":ozcxpoip said:
grannysoo":ozcxpoip said:
HerefordSire":ozcxpoip said:
About a year ago or three, did anyone notice the number of chicken house farms for sale?[/i]

Still plenty for sale. For sale in 40 foot sections, you remove from the property.

Remember the egg price run-up about a year ago? I have a feeling a carton of eggs could be $5 before long.

I sure hope you are right cause within the month I should begin construction on a layer house. $5 seems fair to me and I should be able to offer some organic eggs for $12/dozen. They are worth every penny if someone will pay me that for them. :nod:

Jogeephus":3eukrto9 said:
I sure hope you are right cause within the month I should begin construction on a layer house. $5 seems fair to me and I should be able to offer some organic eggs for $12/dozen. They are worth every penny if someone will pay me that for them. :nod:

Natural gas powered for heat in winter?

I love eggs. I ate less when prices went up.

Animal ag has taken a huge hit. Long term production choices are not easily ended. If you owe on the facility, you produce until you go broke or cut your losses.
I'm sure prosperity is just around the corner.

HerefordSire":307zckqg said:
Jogeephus":307zckqg said:

Natural gas powered for heat in winter?

I love eggs. I ate less when prices went up.

No natural gas. We are going to do raise it naturally. When it gets cold they will freeze their t-hineys off. I guess I should have mentioned that the layer house is for my daughter's school project and it will only be about 100 square feet. Her idea, I'm only the help. I think it will be a wonderful learning experience for her. As tight as she is with a dollar I think she will learn some life's lessons quickly in this venture. But then again, knowing her, she will make money on the venture. :nod:

Jo, that sounds like a good project for your daughter. If she lets them free range at least part of the day, they will rustle up a lot of their own feed. Our chickens go through half the feed in summer that they do in winter when there isn't anything much to forage. If she lets them out, say from when she gets home from school until they roost at dusk, they will likely still lay their eggs in the nest box but also be able to find a lot of their own food.

I don't think we will get more than four chickens. She has been busy picking out the plans for the coop. Little bugger has some high expectations of her dad's carpentery abilities and I had to tone her ambitions back some cause chicken castles are not in my forte'. Plan I think she has now decided on is going to be a moveable setup but if I can get her to get rid of some of the yard cats then maybe the free range thing will work out ok. I'm thinking she and Ely can round them up if neccessary. I'm pretty sure this is Ely's most favorite thing in the world to do. She has scheduled ground breaking ceremony for this weekend.

Jogeephus":1g5rd1sz said:
I don't think we will get more than four chickens. She has been busy picking out the plans for the coop. Little bugger has some high expectations of her dad's carpentery abilities and I had to tone her ambitions back some cause chicken castles are not in my forte'. Plan I think she has now decided on is going to be a moveable setup but if I can get her to get rid of some of the yard cats then maybe the free range thing will work out ok. I'm thinking she and Ely can round them up if neccessary. I'm pretty sure this is Ely's most favorite thing in the world to do. She has scheduled ground breaking ceremony for this weekend.

You need to make her a "chicken tractor". Moveable style coop...

A chicken tractor is my next project. If your carpentry skill are lacking, or you just don't want to spend as much time on it, you can make them out of pvc pipe.

i still have nightmare over our old chicken coup,, one ol gal tried too flogg my ass ever time i went in intimidated the heck out of me

Great link. Gonna have to let lil'boss look at this. Free range and organic to boot. Eggs ought to fetch a good $20/dozen. :banana:

Jogeephus":3ena2n3s said:
Great link. Gonna have to let lil'boss look at this. Free range and organic to boot. Eggs ought to fetch a good $20/dozen. :banana:

I know you are joking...but there are actually people out there that think they will live longer by eating organic foods. This is where the cigarette tax came from. They think they can live longer by not smoking also. Boy are they in for a rude awakening.

HerefordSire":fgyqxj17 said:
Jogeephus":fgyqxj17 said:

I know you are joking...but there are actually people out there that think they will live longer by eating organic foods. This is where the cigarette tax came from. They think they can live longer by not smoking also. Boy are they in for a rude awakening.

Yes, most definitely joking cause if I put my true thoughts on the organic and free range stuff on the board it would get locked for sure. But in the back of my mind I can't help remember what my mom said about an organic store she went to a while back. Please understand my mom is a farm girl who picked cotton by hand and wrung chickens necks before lunch. She said they had eggs in the store with chicken $hit and feathers stuck to them and the customers in the store just thought it wonderful and were paying nearly a buck an egg for them. To each his own but just don't go knocking what I do. Besides mine are "grass bred and grass fed".

Latest posts