Protein tubs

Help Support CattleToday:

cowperson

Reaction score
Has anybody used the protein tubs put out by SweetLik or the EnProAl tubs? The ones offered by the Co-op are 25% protein. Never used them before just wondering if they are any good. Thanks

i have used the sweetlix tubs and also the sweetpro blocks you need to make sure that the protein you are paying for can be utilized some forms of protein aren't as digestable as other, for instance protein from feather meal isn't as digestable,so you are paying for protein that isn't as usable one thing you need to remember is they are a protein source not a feed source so adequete forage still has to be available but the forage can be lesser quality I prefer the poured blocks not the molasses based cooked tubs if I am feeding a large # of cattle

Sweetlix makes good products and I believe these are cooked tubs which should mean "low consumption". I personally don't care for molasses tubs but if you want to use them they'll work as far as supplying protein, vitamins and minerals and they will cut your labor. Just keep in mind that if you have to pay $100 for one 200 lb. tubs, that's $1,000 a ton. There are better and less expensive supplemental feeding programs.

Thanks for the information on the protein tubs. The protein is okay in my hay anywhere from 9-12% but I am concerned that I will not have enough hay this winter. I have 47 head around 1200 lbs and I usually feed through March. We did sow 14 acres of DH-3 rye grass and hope to graze it starting the end of Nov. Has anybody used the cone hay feeders are they worth the money ($593/feeder)?

cowperson":2ka9o5p0 said:
Thanks for the information on the protein tubs. The protein is okay in my hay anywhere from 9-12% but I am concerned that I will not have enough hay this winter. I have 47 head around 1200 lbs and I usually feed through March. We did sow 14 acres of DH-3 rye grass and hope to graze it starting the end of Nov. Has anybody used the cone hay feeders are they worth the money ($593/feeder)?

Friend of mine uses them and figures it takes about 3 years to breakeven on them. He uses the ones that are the insert that sets on the top of regualr rings

I have three of the hay rings with cone inserts bought at our local CO-OP. This ring and cone type is made to go together. We have VERY little wasted hay because it stays inside the ring at the bottom , when pulled out of the roll and the roll is suspended so it doesn't touch the ground. I also put down a foundation made of Geo textile and six inches of rock to cut down on the mess out side the ring. The studies say you have a 5% waste with these hay rings and it sure seems to be true. I wouldn't have any other kind now.

We use liquid mollassas (probably spelled that wrong) and it works good for us. As to the 200 pound tubs, my back couldn't handle them if I wanted to.

200lb protein tubs here are ~67 dollars. so thats $670/ton

50lb sack of feed here is ~11 dollars. so thats $440/ton.

Beefy":3ml6ch7r said:
200lb protein tubs here are ~67 dollars. so thats $670/ton

50lb sack of feed here is ~11 dollars. so thats $440/ton.

Probably not the higher quality cooked tubs. They'll cost you $80 and up I'm pretty sure. The others will work too but you normally will have much higher consumption.

Tubs in my opinion onl have 2 actual benefits. They don;t require the labor that hand feeding does and it insures that (generally) even the shy eaters will get an adequate amount.

plus you have an expensive watertrough when you get thru (if they dont crack it)

I got 2 saturday for $44 each [first experience with them].Before, my steers hum hawed around at their hay and wouldnt even touch the taller bermuda, just wandered around eating the new shoots of fescue. After I put that tub out they transformed into mowing machines and I cant keep enough hay out for them [small squares] gotta get a bale spear so I can give em a big bale. If this is normal, I will be using them again cause the way I see it if their heads are down Im making money.

newrancher":3db6bt68 said:
If this is normal, I will be using them again cause the way I see it if their heads are down Im making money.

The making money part depends on if they actually need the extra feed and at what cost the supplemnt adds to they feed bill. Better to select genetics that will work in the environment and/or adjust calving season if you are having to feed wet cows through the winter.

The benefit to tubs is YOU can control how much they eat and don't have to be there every day. If they clean it out in two days you wait 5 before putting another one out.

Tubs
47 cows, 15 weeks, 1 tub/ week @ $80 = $1200

Ground Feed
47 cows, 15wks (105days), #10/ day/ head, $330/ ton =$814.28 (if the math is right :) )

47*#10=#470/day
#470*105= #49350
#4935/#2000=2.475
2.4675*330$= $814.275

With the ground feed you will need pleanty of troughs ($100ea) and have to be there every day to feed them.

And the better tubs will have mineral in them. Use something like the Vita Ferm with the fiber buster in them and get better results out of rougher forage or lower quailty hay.

Brute 23":3vnbbz4y said:
The benefit to tubs is YOU can control how much they eat and don't have to be there every day. If they clean it out in two days you wait 5 before putting another one out.

Tubs
47 cows, 15 weeks, 1 tub/ week @ $80 = $1200

Ground Feed
47 cows, 15wks (105days), #10/ day/ head, $330/ ton =$814.28 (if the math is right :) )

47*#10=#470/day
#470*105= #49350
#4935/#2000=2.475
2.4675*330$= $814.275

With the ground feed you will need pleanty of troughs ($100ea) and have to be there every day to feed them.

Your math isn't right feed # should be
$330 pr ton divided by 2000# equals $.165pr lb x470lbs pr day = $77.55 pr day x 105 days equals $8142.75

Tubs should be Consumption 1.25lb pr day consumption x47 cows =58.75lbs pr day x$.40=$23.50 per day cost x105 days =2467.50 total cost

Our Co-op only offers the Sweetlix protein tubs. Does anyone know what Sweetlix 25/19.5/5 means? Thanks

cowperson":1mtundra said:
Our Co-op only offers the Sweetlix protein tubs. Does anyone know what Sweetlix 25/19.5/5 means? Thanks

Can't find it on the website. The 25% is probably protein....19.5 could be N.P.N. (urea) The 5 could be fat... Check the label on the tub. It should tell you.

Just bought a sweetlix tub for $48 and began feeding coastal and peanut hay. Only the former show heifers with calves got the tub (9) and the calves love the tub and are munching on the peanut hay. Even the youngest (3 weeks) is eating hay. Cows are also cleaning off the pasture as we are going to burn it off in Jan. and have really eaten more grass since I put the tub out. I'm getting a tub for the older cows that will hit the road in the spring just to keep them in good flesh.

Latest posts